1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Jack

Jack Guest

Maybe, although I thought the Graphics card would be overheating... You might as well try it if you think that is the problem, if it is really hot.

2. thendless

thendless Notebook Guru

Just an update. Re installed both my 4500 and 460 drivers and it seemed to fix the RE5 DX9 Var benchmark problem above. I got 43.9 FPS VAR for internal optimus. 29.3FPS Fixed for internal optimus.

3. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Congratulations on the cpu and pci-e overclocking success. Below I have duplicated your setup but saw almost 10% better RE5 performance. I couldn't get my freeware 3dmark06 to run at your 1280x720 resolution.

SL9400@2.251Ghz (322x7), 25% pci-e overclock, GTX460 1GB 336-cores 675/1800, NVidia audio=off

3dmark06 1280x1024 (ext): 10889
    RE5-var.dx9 1280x720 (ext): 76.9
    3dmark06 1280x800 (int): 9495

Do you have a GTX460 or a GTX460SE? A GTX460 has 336 cuda cores. A GTX460SE has 288 cores, 15% less which could explain lower performance when using an external LCD. A GTX460SE requires less power so may be a better option for predominantly internal LCD mode usage.

Add the following lines to your \setpll\ics9lprs397dklf.lut's [PCIE] section for further pci-e overclocking. Even more entries can be added by increasing the first column value by 2 and the third column value by 1 though I doubt you'll see stability past 30%.

Code:
    127, 20, 3F
    129, 20, 40
    131, 20, 41
    133, 20, 42
    If you can generate a 1280x1024 3dmark06 on the external LCD and a 1280x800 RE5-var dx9 then I can update your results on the first page.

4. KainXS

KainXS Notebook Enthusiast

would any of these bios settings help with the mod

[​IMG]

5. Lord_Epithis

Lord_Epithis Notebook Enthusiast

Okay, so I believe that it is most likely possible that the card is overheating. How do I solve this or what can I go from here? I have a 500watt ATX power supply running it, more than enough.

6. zzilong

zzilong Notebook Enthusiast

How does one activate "internal lcd only" mode with Optimus? It seems I have to make the extended display the primary to have it clone on my internal, but if I don't have an external I can't see anything if I make the external the primary. A catch-22!

Attaching the card and using extended display with internal as primary doesn't utilize the external card. All prerequisites (GTS450, Intel HD) satisfied.

7. NewbieKid

NewbieKid Notebook Enthusiast

I have read in some of your earlier posts: Need to wait till Q1 2011 for a pci-e 3.0 equipped Sandy Bridge notebook to get x1 2.0 performance. That platform means if you plug in a pci-e 3.0 video card then will get the equivalent of x1 4.0 performance.

So does that mean that the DV6 SB notebook will be able to achieve x1 4.0 performance when plugged into its pci-e slot with a 3.0 video card? On a side note, has these 3.0 video cards been released yet?

Another issue that bugs me is that there are USB 2.0 to expresscard converters which are too slow to be used for docking, but will USB 3.0 to expresscard converters be able to be used instead? Imagine 2 of these USB converters on the laptop that is connected to a PE4H-EC2C.

8. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

My earlier comment suggesting SB would have pci-e 3.0 was incorrect. SB has pci-e 2.0 ports only, providing x2 1.0 equivalent performance.

When you disconnect the external LCD then the Intel HD can be used to display the image rendered by the NVidia card. Which programs use the NVidia gpu are set in the Optimus part of the NVidia control panel as shown below:

[​IMG]

9. tan

tan Notebook Enthusiast

I'm selling my PE4L kit here if anyone is looking to save some $$$

10. Lord_Epithis

Okay, so I switched my power supply to a 500 watt and tried playing DoW2 again. I got a healthy 65 fps with the galaxy gtx 460. However, the card overheats really fast and my acer monitor shuts down and tells me no signal. I try this again several times, but the game keeps shutting down, earlier and earlier every time.

I am now asking is that is their a problem with my monitor, the game or the card?

Thank you very much for any help.

11. Jack

Jack Guest

I think that sounds like the card stops sending a signal and stops functioning because it is overheated. I do not know why it would do this when others do not. Lets hope someone else replies to you now.

12. ittius

ittius Notebook Enthusiast

I know that this has probberly been asked before, but i just cant find the answer in over 300+ pages of this thread :)

but can the lenovo t410 nvs3100 512mb run the optimus tweak??

Edit:

As for the card overheating?, i had this problem(on a desktop) and it was not getting clean power form the PSU.
    try a water cooling block XD!!
    is the card itself getting hot or is it a bad connection that shows it's self when it heats up?

13. Lord_Epithis

Yeah its the card thats getting hot. I can't tell whats it max temp is or anything, nor can I tell that the power supply is bad.

It also feels like the fan is not speeding up to counter these tempetures as well.

14. suhail_spa

suhail_spa Newbie

this is to especially thank Nando4 and others behind this amazing thread...

I wish to share my experiences so far.. of my DIY-GPU rig....
    i use octane render (Octane Render - The Interactive Physically Based Render Engine) an amazing 3d rendeing software, which is CUDA based, uses GPU for processing and does path-tracing renderings at speeds more than 10x as compared to CPU based renderers; on my Dell Precision M4500 (win 7, 64 bit, nvidia optimus, i5, Quadro FX 880m-1GB, 4 GB RAM)..
    its been 2 weeks since i assembled my rig, and it works like a charm...

i have documented my experiences on this thread (you might need to create an account to view this.. :eek: )
    Octane Render Forums - Login

cheers and thanks a ton!

15. ittius

ittius Notebook Enthusiast

Hey all

@ epthius - try sticking a big A** fan in front of the GPU and see if that helps, otherwise i think your card may be dodgy.

2 things:

1. i wonder if thunderbolt would work well for the external GPU??

Also I'm having problems now... basically every time i start up with the DIY Dock, everything works fine until approx 1 or 2 minutes then my external screens freeze then my whole computer freezes before going blue screen "nvlddmkm.sys" it says that that was the cause.

My system setup.
    Lenovo t410 , 1x PCiE , Geforce 8800gt, two dell 19" monitors and using a 1.5ft Mini HDMI cable

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

16. [Sander]

[Sander] Newbie

Since I've moved now, and built up my DIY ViDock again, I can correct my RE5-benchmarks.

So, I've updated my post, and also included benchmarks showing the performance impact of the DualIDA tweak as well as a picture of my setup.

(Nando4, can you please update the performance table for my D830?)

17. Lord_Epithis

Well, I don't have a big a** fan and I am out of desktop room. So now I learn that I am using a defunct card unlike everyone else? Well then, congradulations to me for wasting 200 bucks unless there is a solution :mad:

18. Dan_c

Dan_c Newbie

Hi Guys,

Since nobody seems able/willing/ Keen to help me how to make it working, I'm seeling my brand new ViDock 3.... it's on ebay..... just browse for it.

Hope someone is more lucky than me.

Regards,
    D.
    P.S. I'm sorry if i've posted my announcement here, but I've contributed as well with my experience (bad one obviously)

19. apollo-fox

apollo-fox Notebook Enthusiast

I am testing the trial version of Badaboom 2.0 before purchasing the full software. I was looking forward to using the built-in CUDA processing for transcoding videos to the Zune HD and BB Torch, but there doesn't seem to be much of a gain using the GTX 460 over CPU. Both transcode at about 60 fps on my system. Has anyone used Badaboom in the forum with better GPU benchmarks?

[​IMG]

20. bradsh

bradsh Notebook Consultant

I'm just curious, have any of you tried Lucid Virtu? Does it work? It's desktop software that copies pci-ex videocard output to the IGP framebuffer. It basically does the exact same thing as what we're trying to do here (display on internal LCD), but it seems like it would involve less hacking?

it would be cool to have graphics power you could just plug into the laptop.

Lucidlogix virtu