DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    As of 1.0e2 I've updated the lspci/setpci from 2.2.3 to 3.1.7. The 2.2.3 was compiled with Watcomm and the 3.1.7 was compiled with Delore's djgpp which might be your issue.

So I suggest replace the 3.1.7 \core\lspci and \core\setpci binaries on your USB stick or disk image with the 2.2.3 versions from pciutils_2.2.3_os2_dos.zip and report your results.

I don't see why a ICH6M system shouldn't work other than till now we've only tested or had confirmations on ICH7M or newer systems.

2. lazyboy

lazyboy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Alright, I'll give it a shot.
    Thanks

3. Mech0z

Mech0z Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am getting a X210t and AgentYura can you post exactly what you bought? My plan is to buy a small micro ATX case with a inbuild 150W PSU and then buy whatever is necesary for my HD5770 card to work.

Is PE4L-EC2C all I need when I get the case with inbuild 150w PSU?

Also I can see that some updated versions of the docks are going into production in sep/2010 should I wait until these get in stock?

4. Rorschach

Rorschach Notebook Virtuoso NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    question, why is all the benchmarking done at 1280x800? I thought this was being done on external monitors do they even make monitors with that low of a resolution anymore? Been kicking around the idea of trying this out, but at that low of a resolution, seems like it would just be better to buy a decent 15 inch laptop for the cost some of these people are paying.

5. key001

key001 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    because of the cost of a diy vidock we can only afford old CRT monitors that only go up to 1280x800

6. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    Next month's release of NVidia GT4xx and GTS4xx will see lower prices & power requirements and more portability. Their 75W TDP part means we'll see a ~US$200-$230 kit. A lot of bang-per-buck if Optimus-enhancements activate on your system. ie:

US$65-delivered PE4L-EC2C
    US$12-delivered 12V/72W 2.5mm adapter, 75W/80W adapters jump in price
    US$120-$150 GT4xx (75W)

I started benchmarking at 1280x800 for RE5 and dmcv4 to show performance difference with my internal LCD and the trend just continued from there. I found GTX470's 1920x1080 benchmarks are quite similar to the lower resolution in for example FFXIV. 3dmark06/vantage are at standard 1280x1024 resolution so are comparable across the board.

7. damounh

damounh Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

thank you for this thread it is great! but I am having a lot of BSOD in win7 issues with my card.

I am using GeForce 8800GTS with PE4H. I think that I managed to get the startup script working properly. When I first booted up, windows recognized the Video Controller and began downloading the driver for it to be used. It then recognized the card and installed the driver as NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS. However, after the installation I was asked to restart, and when I booted up through the DiY startup script windows tried to output to the monitor attached to the external video card which then failed and threw the BSOD.

I've been trying to go through the replies on this post to see if anyone has had similar problems but I was not able to find anyone who would fail at trying to output any video.

If it helps, I have lenovo R500

8. rajivk2005

rajivk2005 Newbie

Reputations:
    I tried yesterday with the 2.2.3 version tools and still got "Lspci cannot find any working access method". Everest reports 2 empty pci-e ports. Funny thing is, even though the 5750 shows up in device manager (with the error code 12), it does not show up in everest. Will post pics later in the day

9. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    Have you done a test to see if that's not just a warning message by doing one of the pci writes in the output pci.bat file and then doing a read back to see if the data has changed?

Code:
    setpci -s x:x.x yy.b (initial read)
    setpci -s x:x.x yy.b=aa (write)
    setpci -s x:x.x yy.b (read again -> has it changed?)
    If setpci is still having problems try using the 'pt PCI wconf' to do the PCI write instead. You'd just have to convert from the setpci command syntax to the 'pt PCI wconf' syntax. Do a 'help setpci' and 'help pt' if need more assistance or refer to \help\pt.txt and \help\setpci.txt from within Windows.

Code:
    list of 'pt PCI' commands:
    rconf [bus device function size register] (read config register)
    wconf [bus device function size register data] (write config register)
    dconf [bus device function size] [start stop] (dump config registers)
    lconf [< filename] (load config registers - format same as dconf)

10. wiktor96

wiktor96 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a laptop Hase q540s mPCIE connector and as I plugged the adapter PE4L-PM3N and put the graphics card is that everything worked?