1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. afinman

afinman Newbie

Played around again. Still not got it working. Would I have better luck with an nVidia card? Managed to get card fully detected, but not enough to get windows to think it should output something through it - fine in device mgr, but nothing in display manager. All this at the expense of having no usb and no network either.

My laptop has vaio stamina/speed switch which doesn't seem to work properly unless both dedicated and igp are enabled in Vidock Setup 1.x

Hope I haven't wasted my money. My U2711 is sat in a box pining to be used.

2. Mjolner

Mjolner Notebook Evangelist

How many people here are running a GTX470 or GTX 460 witha x2 or x1 optimus setup? Do any of you play at 1080P (or 1920 x1200)? I would be interested in some real life observations about game performance with such a setup.

3. Grafh

Grafh Newbie

I really what to say thank you to everyone that is working on this project, provided I get this working you guys saved me from buying a expensive desktop that I don't really have the money for.

Quick question, just want to double check I can do this.

I'm running a Toshiba Satellite A212

Windows Vista 32
    Motherboard: ATI SB600
    Video Card: ATI Radeon X1200
    Dual Core: AMD Turion 64
    4g Ram

I hoping just to copy nando4's wonderful setup from page 31.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/gam...51-diy-vidock-experiences-31.html#post5964738

Will this be ok? Thanks in advince.

4. Mjolner

Also, if I run x2 with ports 3 and 4, what will happen to the devices in 1 and 2 if it runs x2 mode? I believe it is the wireless card and the SD card reader. Will these be in any way damaged, or will they simply not work? I never use my SD card reader and I won't need wifi when the computer is hooked up to the Vidock anyway, but I would prefer to not have to keep removing the wifi card.

Also, once the DIY Vidock is set up, is it plug and play, or do I need to run setup stuff every time I unplug it from my laptop?

5. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

It will be OK just be aware of the 3.3V power limitation imposed by using a 12V adapter as discussed here with USB cable workaround explained if flakey. I didn't experience any problems with the HD5750 12V setup.

When you set x2 mode on port3+4, it sets x2 mode on port1. If you have a device using port2 then it will cause problems since it's being seen as the second lane of that device. The solution is to remove the device in port2. If not possible then will need to remove the device in port1.

Once Setup 1.x is configured correctly, it's just a matter of booting to it via your bootloader selecting "Automated startup via startup.bat" then once back in your bootloader select Win7. Refer to the DV4-2000+GTX470@x2 startup.bat example to help you along. If doing a x1.Opt setup then it's quite likely you don't even need Setup 1.x. Can install Setup 1.x now to get a feel for how it would work.

@ALL I'm getting prelim details on pci-e 2.0 compliance with the problem identified: the mini HDMI cables provided cannot carry the faster signals reliably even if using a 15cm cable.

Gerry from hwtools last comment on the matter being I will contact my cable vendor for develop PCIe-2.0 support.

6. catintheoven

catintheoven Newbie

Hi, I run a ATI Radeon HD 4350 Silent 1GB on a ridiculously old T60 Thinkpad with an Intel Core SOLO 1.6 ghz processor on XP, I've been really enjoying it for a few months now and its worked surprisingly well for a laptop that struggles to surf the web. It's been running games no problem, nothing too demanding, KOTOR on highest, World in Conflict on highest etc, I don't need powerful graphics really, just non-integrated or something recognized by the game where 3D analyze is useless.

As I have a silent card with no fan I hooked up some USB fans to the port on the PE4L (wasn't sure if it had any intended purpose but it came in very handy) and I have enclosed it in a homemade box and bought a longer mini-usb cable. I power it with a DC jack which conveniently is the same as my other laptops so I just us that.

Heres a pic with an old LCD screen, I now just plug it into my TV through the HDMI (though some game windows will only show up if I switch to the VGA channel) and I plug in a keyboard and mouse and just sit back and play somewhere more comfortable.
    [​IMG]

As I said it has worked perfectly fine, until yesterday when my TV lost the HDMI signal, upon rebooting the laptop it would not detect the TV or the card and the fans were not working. I checked them on another USB port and they were fine so it must be the PE4L's port. However the 2 LED's are lit and it sounds like theres some sort of activity happening (a a swarm of bees attacking lawn mower in the distance thats eating an electric razor tied to an electric toothbrush mostly). I'm starting to think this is going to be a really bad major problem so any ideas I really need to play!?!?!

7. User Retired 2

Per 7. Troubleshooting: I am having some problems... on first post

2. My DIY ViDock worked, then stopped working all of a sudden
    First thing is check your mini HDMI cable. 2 users requiring a replacement US$6-shipped cable to restore functionality.

8. catintheoven

catintheoven Newbie

I tried it with my original mini-usb and with out the DC adapter the LED next to the DC power if off and the one furthest way is on, If I plug in the USB jack for the fans this goes off, if I plug in the DC adapter there is no change in the closest LED but the one that was on now flickers dimly when the USB is in. Previously when the DC adapter was in the fans would start, the DC adapter still works with my laptop.

9. User Retired 2

I assume you are referring to the mini HDMI cables when you say "USB". I once saw the flickering LED when the link to the expresscard is established. It turned out to be a faulty expresscard slot(!!).

I would advise testing your rig on another system with an expresscard slot to see if the problem stays with the system or not.

10. catintheoven

catintheoven Newbie

No I mean USB, there are 4 mini-hdmi slots and a usb port on the board, I use that USB port to power a fan to cool my card and now its not giving out power as it used to when the DC was plugged in, so maybe its a power issue. I will test the slot idea.

11. atticus182

atticus182 Notebook Consultant

I have a question about PE4H :

Does the v2.4 will work with Expressport 2.0 and will a v2.5 be release soon?

Also, Do the geforce gtx 560 ti worth the wait or I buy the gtx 460 now?

Thanks

12. acer47ok

acer47ok Notebook Consultant

Okay I've been messing around with my vidock.

460 gtx SE stock 650mhz optimum internal display

3dmark 06 stock
    SM2 2938 HDR 3731

748mhz core + 25mhz memory overclock
    SM2 3026 HDR 3843

800 mhz core + 50mhz memory
    SM2 3044 HDR 3833

825 mhz core + 75mz memory overclock
    SM2 3051 HDR 3826

UNDERCLOCKED as low as possible (425-448mhz cant remember)
    SM2 3025 HDR 3746

So...with my vidock set up....overclocking the card I may be able to gain a mere 50-70pts per test. I don't think it justifies the extra heat/wattage...I see no difference in FPS in benchmarks, cssource....in sc2 the thing that mainly affects framerate is anything that takes up CPU resources not the GPU.

So my bottleneck is the CPU........but is there any benefit to overclocking a vidock card since we are limited to x1 speed? If one had to choose, is it better get a 450 gts vs a 460 gtx as long as you can do optimus?

When I use the external display, I can see that there is a slight performance boost when overclocking, but not when I use the optimus internal.

13. masterjumong2012

masterjumong2012 Notebook Geek

hi everyone:smile:
    i just recieved my video card, psu and resistors. my PE4L EC2C + ATX Power Switch will arrive tomorrow afternoon according to my tracking #
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i also bought a 4GB USB Flash Drive just incase i need to do the DiY Setup

i also pre-installed a handful of programs and stuff
    [​IMG]

i also upgraded my RAM from 2.5GB to 4GB
    [​IMG][​IMG]

then i read something that makes me worried:(

i know that desktop motherboard can give juice of up to 75w of power on PCI-Express slot on the mobo.

then i saw this article saying that floppy power connector can only provide up to 36w of power:eek:
    [​IMG]

All about the various PC power supply cables and connectors

according to the article, even if i use a 4pin molex connector, i am still short of 15w of power because it has only a maximum power of 60w:(

i don't have any extra laptop power brick to use:(

what do i do now? should i use the floppy power cable on the psu or use the included floppy to molex:confused:

14. acer47ok

What kind of power supply is that? It should have at least one pci-e cable.
    Then just use the 2x 4-pin molex to 1x pci-e adapter that should come with the video card....u should be fine. And you do not need a atx power switch. Just get a paper clip and connect the green wire to any blackwire.

15. User Retired 2

See the details I have posted here about pci-e 2.0 compliance of the hwtools gear. Summary: the mini HDMI cable they use is not pci-e 2.0 compliant. They are doing further tests.

If you can do x1 2.0 Optimus, which we haven't had a confirmed result for as yet, then I'd get the fastest card possible. Optimus looks to approximate double bandwidth so x1 2.0 Optimus is equivalent to x4 1.0 or x2 2.0.

If looking to use just x1.Opt then there's US$93AR deals on a Galaxy GTX460-768MB as masterjumong2012 invested in above. That's three times less than the ~$280 GTX560 release price with likely less than 15% performance separating the two in the DIY ViDock setup.

The floppy molex uses a 12V, GND and GND lead to transmit power. Each lead is rated for 25W, so there's your 75W slot total. The floppy molex lead gave zero problems with any of the cards I tested: HD4670, HD5750, GTX470.

A GTS450 would make more sense for internal LCD usage only for (1) it's cheaper price and (2) it can be made to work with a 12V/120W adapter.

You can see the bandwidth limitations means a powerful GPU is spending more time waiting for data than it is processing it.

16. Mjolner

So is there any chance we will be able to do x2 optimus at some point?

17. acer47ok

So does that mean all our PE4L boards will soon become obsolete? Would we have to upgrade the cable, the pci adapter, and the board?

18. User Retired 2

I had a x2 1.0 setup with the DV4-2000 + GTX470. Unfortunately the NVidia driver didn't engage the x1.Opt tweak, which I believe is end-to-end compression. I've asked NVidia to unlock the driver here but they haven't been warm to the idea as yet. Which means would need a skilled hacker to try to unlock it for us instead.

The other option is to wait and see if the same tweak applies on x1 2.0 links. x1.Opt gives quite impressive benchmark results. x1 2.0 Opt would have doulbe the bandwidth to play with so could really deliver a new level of performance altogether.

Which then leads to the question of pci-e 2.0 compliance of the hwtools gear...

I've asked that question to which hwtools have done testing and identified the mini HDMI cable as not being pci-e 2.0 compliant. I've update this thread as more news/progress is made.

19. Angry

Angry Newbie

Has anybody tried this on a Dell Studio 1535?

20. Wajper

Wajper Newbie

Hi All

I have Asus a8js:
    * core2duo T7200 (chipset intel 945PM, ICH7-m)
    * 2 GB ram
    * geforce go 7700 (dedicated mxm)

I just bought Galaxy geforce GTX 460 for Diy Vidock and my configuration is:
    * PE4L
    * EC2C
    * PSU Corsair CX430

Now I have a error (code 43) on GTX 460 but go 7700 works fine. What should I do?? How to disable dedicated go7700 ? Which drivers should I install and how to do it? Now i have installed 266.58 notebook version (mod INF) for go7700 and desktop version 266.58 for GTX 460.

PLEASE HELP !!! :(