DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. flaunt

flaunt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @nando/Nautis - Excellent find! - that performance boost is insane - it approaches x2 performance if not better..

Is it possible for optimus to run with a non-intel IGP or a laptop with NO IGP

For instance, will a geforce 8400M internal card + a gtx 460 fermi work with optimus? I know the geforce 8400M is listed as compatible with optimus on the nvidia website. My GTX comes in tomorrow - would love to help you guys experiment/test this if you need me.

Let me know!

2. ithildin

ithildin Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Wow that's insane! Kudos for that discovery guys, it's a huge find! It would be great if we could find a way to force Optimus on non Intel HD IGPs. I just hope I can somehow use Optimus with my Mob Radeon 3650 (in principle no but still!). A lot of us are stuck with discrete (MXM or alike) GPUs and can't really hope to replicate an Intel IGP scenario to fit with Optimus...

3. avlan

avlan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Awesome, but... Why so much difference?

4. jamesbond007

jamesbond007 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great job nando/nautis. Looks like a strong case for me to switch to a nvidia card.

5. kizakisu

kizakisu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    im still not sure how to get this nvida boost to work like am i downloading the right files o_O and i dont see what the guy had in the video menus

6. Chubz

Chubz Newbie

Reputations:
    New user here! I have two simple, but urgent question(s):

1. Will it work out if I use THIS device on a laptop that does not have a built-in ExpressCard reader? Can the ViDock still function correctly by going ExpressCard->USB->Laptop rather than a direct ExpressCard->Laptop connection?

2. Will an ATI 5770 video card (link) fit into this thing with no problems and perform correctly? P.S. We're ordering ViDock 4 (link), which supports PCI Express cards that require only one 6-pin power connector such as with this video card. I'm most worried about the video card's power requirements with the 6-pin connector. Think the ViDock can not only seat the card, but also provide it enough power to avoid from having it not operate at all?

Thank you very much for any answers to these two questions. They're urgent because I'm in need of making a decision quickly. Thanks again!

EDIT - And obviously, these questions are regarding the actual ViDock product, not the DIY version. I'm just hoping that with enough experience to create your own, you'll have some answers for the actual product, too, and whether or not my equipment will suffice.

7. shioshikari

shioshikari Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello not in a hurry but I was wondering with the DIY ViDock does it work with a HP Pavillion dv6000. I was wondering if somebody try it and if they did could you tell me your experiences.
    PS The DV 6000 does come with a express port and would need a expressport to usb adapter would that hinder prefomance for anything at all?

8. kizakisu

Reputations:
    @ Chubz
    1x 6 pin connector has 75 watts no matter what so it should work fine the whole usb to express-card thing might not be a good idea not even sure if it will work and if it did its already being bottle necked think it will just make it not worth trying that way. i know the diy vidock u have a option of using the laptop pcie port or the one your wifi is taking up using a PM3N

9. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Adding link to Nautis' NVidia Optimus packages that are ready to install.

Also added detailed 3dmarkvantage scores which can be used to compare the Optimus vs non-Optimus NVidia GTX470 setup. Can see that Stream Out and GPU Particles performance is increase 3 times with Optimus. Suggest then NVidia are aware Optimus puts more load on the pci-e bus and have applied some tweak for efficiency to conserve bandwidth/power which works great for our x1 1.0 setup.

Nobody has reported a DV6xxx setup as yet. You could be the first. You have an expresscard slot to do it with. Consider a US$300 GTX460-768MB great bang-per-buck setup. There is no reason why it shouldn't work. Worst case scenario requiring decreasing RAM from 4GB to 3GB to accomodate the video card in 32-bit space in the unlikely event that your chipset doesn't do 64-bit PCI allocation NOR has room to host a video card in 32-bit space.

10. kizakisu

Reputations:
    thx its working just fine now i hope i see the big boost with the 460 i have