DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. werme

werme Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi I just setup my egpu and I have GTX 550 Ti (OC), and laptop i5 3320m cpu.

I'm getting only 35-120fps in CS:GO and other titles, with lots of micro stuttering, impossible to play, when shooting the game stops completely then keeps running.

Also tried RX470 with same setup, got 6.2k firemark points and it was running better (nearly smooth) but still not as good. PSU is 430 watts.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  2. zeroonea

zeroonea Newbie

Reputations:
    Can AMD use internal display?

3. werme

werme Newbie

Reputations:
    No we tried AMD with freesync display only.

I managed to "fix" the GTX550:
    -disabled HD4000 (was already disabled)
    -disabled all nvidia HD audio (there were 4 instances)
    -disabled laptop PnP monitor
    Also set nvidia drivers to "performance" instead of "quality"

managed to play rocket league with graphics high and 1280x1024 res, where it worked only 1024x768 low details before. Not sure if nvidia compression is working, but cs:go still drops below 40fps.

4. zeroonea

zeroonea Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, can dell DA-2 mod to power laptop as laptop adapter. I want to power egpu and laptop using dell DA-2. Is it possible?

5. the editor

the editor Newbie

Reputations:
    What port shuld I use ? one Type II PCMCIA or ExpressCard/54, WPAN/FCM/UWB, WWAN/FCM or the slot holding my wifi card(idont know what the port is caled)
    I have a dell e6400 2 duo t9800 @2.93GHz not oc yet will this work for mid gaming and sound editing ?

6. swapnil11

swapnil11 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys i have Samsung NP355V5C-S05IN laptop with following specs

Processor AMD Quad Core A8-4500M
    Speed 1.9 GHz
    Cache 4MB (L2 Cache)
    RAM 6GB
    Type DDR3
    Speed 1600 MHz
    Memory Slots 2
    Chipset Model AMD A70M
    GPU Model AMD Radeon HD 7640G + HD 7670M Dual Graphics
    GPU Memory (shared) 1GB
    HDMI Port Yes

Will I be able to upgrade the egpu with GTX 1060/1070/1080 ?

7. JohnCalavera

JohnCalavera Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone!

I owe PCIe PCI-E V8.4D EXP GDC ExpressCard version device with MSI 1050Ti Video card and 500W FSP PSU.
    My laptop is HP 8470P (2ndGen i5,8Gb of RAM, iGPU, no dGPU, Win10Ent, GForce DrvVer.375.63(only that works))

All of it connected together, and after hours of set-ups it finally works.
    But i have an issue here...

- My .aml file that i created uploaded as a registry override with Windows test signing mode enabled from which i have Large Memory upgrade, that i see in Device Manager. Shown here: https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/fix-dsdt-override-to-correct-error-12/#step2 That is used for resolving code12 on PCI Express Root port 2 - 1E12, and it's working.
    (if i use only TestMode, i have code12 on PCI Express Root port 2 (mPCIe))

- DIY eGPU 1.30 is setting up manually from DOS environment in test mode as showed here: https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/fix-dsdt-override-to-correct-error-12/#post-734 for removing code12 on GTX1050Ti, and it's working too.
    (if i use only DIY eGPU, i have code12 on my GTX1050Ti)

So these two methods,together, working fine, but after few minutes (5-20) of a gameplay sound of hardware disconnection beeps and Application (game) is just disappeared, my CPU still goes hot (65-72C) but in Task Manager there is no activity, system still operational but for example i can't Scan for New Hardware in DM (it freezes), or i have BSOD(rare). Nvidia Control Panel is totally crushing without any visuals and all of applications are not recognizing eGPU anymore. All i can do is to reboot. After rebooting i have some time of using eGPU with the same final.

Is that kind of situation resolvable, do you think? (((
    Thanks!

8. JohnCalavera

JohnCalavera Newbie

Reputations:
    ... An update.
    I have tried to switch mPCIe interface to 2.5Gb/s. System running more stable, still no blackouts.
    Testing further...

Who knows How to run the system without setting up the whole thing in pre-win dos environment?
    I mean to save it to .bat file?

Thanx!

9. DCLeadboot

DCLeadboot Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there!
    I'm coming into this thread as a new member of the forum, so I haven't really seen everything within this discussion.
    However, my immediate interest is with this new possibility of patching an external GPU through to my laptop to potentially increase its performance in gaming.

I've been watching and reading some articles about how a GPU card can be seated on an external PCI that is then powered by an external powerhouse and connected via the Express Card.
    My snag is that my laptop that I got last year (Lenovo G50) seems to lack an external Express Card slot.
    However I discovered an adaptor can be purchased that connects an Express Card slot to a USB port - a potential solution to that problem.

My question is will a USB to Express Card adaptor be man enough for the task of connecting an eGPU?
    And if not... is there another solution?