DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Kesmar

Kesmar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone can help me?

2. ramses pikku

ramses pikku Newbie

Reputations:
    Going to try this soon with my laptop

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  3. ensete

ensete Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone have any experience adding an external GPU to an HP Elitebook 840 G2? It doesnt have an ExpressPort or mini PCI slot

4. EagleZeroOne

EagleZeroOne Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone,
    I'm trying to set up an eGPU with r9 280x (power by 500w PSU) on my laptop acer E1 572G (i5 4200U - 8GB ram - dGPU 8750M - Win 10)
    So far i have disabled the dGPU and disable the port of dGPU on DIY 1.3, i have DSDT overided and i ran 36bit PCI compaction on the eGPU.

There are some scenarios i runned into:
    - If i didnt run the 36bit compaction, when i installed driver for the 280x, it went fine but i ran into error 12. I rebooted the laptop and did 36bit compaction then boot into win 10, the sceen went black and the fan is really loud (max speed maybe) and then the laptop turn off (light on the keyboard, mouse, fan on the 280x, led on the eGPU turn off but the power led on the laptop stay on). After that, several next boot was just everything power down (no more loud fan).
    - Gave it an another try, i used DDU to uninstall all and ran the 36 bit PCI compaction first then boot in win 10 and installed the driver for 280x. When the driver was installing, the laptop freezed (mouse still could move though), i turned it off and boot into win normally and it happened again, the sceen went black and the fan is really loud and then the laptop turn off (next boot everything just power down too). When i go into safe mode, the driver was installed (device manager show r9 200 series).

Have anyone run into this problem? Could you please offer me a solution, i have try to set this up for a week now.
    Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english.

5. Himansh

Himansh Newbie

Reputations:

Wicked20 can you plz help me ?? My XPS 15 L502X is not detecting eGpu at all.

6. wicked20

wicked20 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry, I haven't use that in years as there are much better, safer and more cost effective solutions x10+ performance. You can sell that and buy a used Alienware 13/15/17 for about $600 and external Amplifier (eGPU) for $100. MSI also have eGPU solutions, which I have the 13" MSI notebook and x16 PCIe lane.
    Best wishes.

7. Himansh

Himansh Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, thank you for replying. But I got it working with the help of Nando. He is just brilliant. I can't go for Alienware or MSI yet. Because I've already spent much on GTX 1060 Gaming X from MSI, corsair psu and exp gdc.
    BTW you've GS30 shadow with gaming dock ? If yes then what is the performance and which gpu are you docking ?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  8. wicked20

wicked20 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, I've GS30 and 980ti and AW13r3, AW15r2. It should work with 1080ti or the best of next few years easily. Performance is about the same as the desktop within 1-2% because of x8 lanes PCIe 3.0. GL.

9. myth69

myth69 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone! Please help me. I have a trouble saving the settings that were made in DIY EGPU. The only thing I need is to change my mpcie port to G2.
    Everything works fine until the first reboot/sleep. After I made the Chainload, GPU-Z shows me PCI 2.0 x 1. But after a reboot or when I put the laptop to sleep it resets the PCIE back to 1.1x1. Should I perform the DIY EGPU procedure every time I boot the laptop? Or is there any solution to save the performed settings somehow? My OS is Win10 and DIY EGPU is 1.30.
    By the way, on startup I get every time a cmd window "eGPU-Setup-110b5.bat" which says that v: couldn't be mounted.
    Best regards!

10. Ultimauser

Ultimauser Newbie

Reputations:
    Just one question: is kabylake compatible with any eGPU solutions? I got i5 7300U gt 940mx laptop, mpcie x1 2.0
    Still don't have any information about modern cpus compatibility.
    Thanks!