1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Not sure if screwed, just require some creative troubleshooting for a situation I have not encountered. Not clear what is causing the problem. Suggestion in last post was that the PSU you are using cannot supply the peak power the 9800GTX needs, in which case the video card would just stop working with the PSU still continuing as you describe. So suggest trying a beefier power supply.

Would suggest setting your desktop to go to the onboard video and then manually change it to 'desktop 2' "make this main display".

If you have XP around, could try it too instead just to see if it's something to do with your Win7 load (drivers/startup?).

2. Shewtemup

Shewtemup Notebook Enthusiast

I just did some quick research. I've got a 480w PSU, which is apparently more than enough to power the 9800gtx, especially since it is the only thing sucking power from it.

I checked all the lights while starting up, and nothing seems to flicker on the card, and the card fan seems to stay in sync with my laptop fan. Just before it crashed prior to the desktop loading, I can hear both fans start to rev up a tiny bit, and then drop back to the normal rate. After that the computer is frozen with no displays, and I'm forced to pull the plug to shut it down and reboot.

Also, ift you have an IM or something, I would be willing to chat on there. I would like to keep this from clogging the thread, and I could post the solution once I/we find one.

Also also, would this problem be solved with the purchase of the ATI 4670?

3. User Retired 2

The other nvidia implementations you can follow from the first post noted general flakiness. Something I haven't experienced with a HD4670. Other thing to try is swap the ends of the mini HDMI lead, or try another lead altogether if have one, just in case there is some defect there.

If buying a ATI card, I'd suggest a HD5830, due later this month. Could be worthwhile borrowing a low end card off a friend (eg:HD4350) to confirm operation on your system before investing more $$.

If you get your post count up, you'll be able to PM.

4. Shewtemup

That seems a little contradictory of the original reason to PM, haha.

Ok, well, I believe my friend has a Radeon something something. I'll see if I can borrow it, and I'll post results. In the meantime, I'll try swapping ends.

5. publicallyunknown

publicallyunknown Newbie

Could someone please post a youtube video with this whole setup working? Not a just a feed from the external display showing some game running, but a video showing the whole rig working in real time, from boot-up to game operation with and without card? (Almost like the actual vidock 2 demos)
    Perhaps also showing CPU-z, GPU-z, and the windows 7 system window?
    It's not that I'm skeptical, its just that I would like to see a proven rig in action before I to devote my resources and laptop to this project.

6. Shewtemup

Ok, so I got my friend's ATI Radeon X1800. I'm running on it right now, so that part works good. I turned on my computer, plugged in the card while powered on, and Win7 detected, installed the drivers, and I was good to go. I suspended the system, and when I resumed it turned up on the external monitor.

Here's the bad news. I tried booting up Lord of the Rings Online, which is my primary want for a better card. The client reinstalled directx, which I took to be a good sign, and then the client booted, the pregame screen loaded, everything looked good... until the openning cinematic normally would have rolled. Computer shut down, and restarted. It restarted back the external monitor. I went to open up a window (forget what) and the screen flickered with horizontal lines, and I got a blue screen of death saying that a device unloaded a pending driver. Computer dumped, restarted, and here I am. Sorry this desc is so long, but figured I'd give what happened in detail for full diagnosis.

Like I said, I'm still running on the desktop card, but haven't tried loading a game yet. Any ideas? I'm stumped.

7. User Retired 2

@shewtemup. PM send.

8. JohnnyEM

JohnnyEM Notebook Enthusiast

I was not able to get the PCIScope driver started in Windows 7 64 bit. I could not get a PCIScope snapshot in DOS mode either.

I still tried to compile all the resources used by the GT240 with 2.5GB of RAM

The following PCI config script was used:

setpci -s 00:1c.00 1c.w=2020
    setpci -s 00:1c.00 24.l=CFF1C001

Attached Files:

9. Pyro515

Pyro515 Notebook Enthusiast

publicallyunknown,

I don't have a you tube video, but I can attest that it works. It took a bit of work to get it up and running and a bit of head scratchin, but I'm typing this right now on the external graphics card with no issues, and watching a movie on my other monitor :) Thanks to Nando for his help! Wouldn't have been able to get it up running without this thread.

My only real advice is to try and re-read this thread and the first thread a couple of times, every time I re-read it I got a little bit better understanding.

Mike

10. JohnnyEM

JohnnyEM Notebook Enthusiast

Successfully using 4GB RAM on Windows 7 64-bit after running memory reallocation script!!

Using the 9525pr.bat memory reallocation script, I'm able to use 4GB RAM in both x1 mode and x2 mode with my Geforce GT240.

Attached is a device manager memory resources screenshot before the reallocation and after running the 9525pr.bat memory reallocation script.

Also attached are all the scripts used for x1 mode and x2 mode.

Attached Files:

11. key001

key001 Notebook Evangelist

was it catalyst 9.5 or later? if so you need a legacy driver for x1800(yeah ati drivers suck) or a catalyst 9.3 or older

12. User Retired 2

FYI: shewtemup's DV2000 with Phoenix bios was setting up the desktop video card as the primary video card. A configuration that the ACPI tables have no idea how to deal, leading to BSOD. THis is something I found on the DV2000 I tested on to. Suggested fix was:

- disconnect EC2C during bootup, then either hotplug after bios post or do a suspend, attach, resume. This will setup a dual-adapter configuration.

- explained that suspending differs to hibernating (hibernating was being done prior to the explanation).

Getting Started section

Getting Started section added to first post to clarify what's involved in setting this all up, plus re-editted for better flow and clarity.

13. Aidanvii

Aidanvii Notebook Enthusiast

There was recently some "critical" updates for Windows 7.
    It seems like too much of a coincidence because ever since then i get constant crashes on the external card im using. Ive tried reinstalling the drivers etc etc but still the same problem. It seems to happen only when i try watching video or playing a game, even youtube videos freeze it.
    I think ill have to do a complete restore of the OS now with no auto updates to test it.

Just wondering if anyone else had similar problems?

Thanks

14. fscussel

fscussel Notebook Evangelist

The new Series 5 intel chipsets all have PCI EXPRESS 2.0... can I assume that every notebook shipped with one of those chipsets will run the DiY ViDock at full speed (2x 1.0) ?? this is the Series 5 specification sheet from intel:

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/322169.pdf

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. fscussel

[​IMG]

This is the Everest Chipset part for a E4300... is it x2 compatible??

16. avlan

avlan Notebook Guru

Well, maybe. Port#3 is blocked by Latitude On card, but maybe there is any possibility to use that line (I have the same notebook).

17. User Retired 2

Avlan, are you saying the Latitude On card presents itself on port3? There is no mention of it in the above screenshot. If so, then we know:
    * port2=wifi (mPCIe)
    * port3=Latitude On (mPCie)

All the remains then is identifying what the expresscard slot comes up as by inserting say an e-sata expresscard to see if it comes up on port1 or port4. Or if have any additional mPCIe slots to swap over the wifi and see if it presents as port1 or port2. Then can do a x2 link by:

* port1 + port2
    * port3 + port4

18. fscussel

i'm sorry, what is an "On card" ?

apparently "Leeg" in german (the screenshot) means "Available", is it correct? Port 1 and Port 4 Available?

19. fscussel

from the GPU-Z image you can see 16x@1x... does that means it's working at 1.0 x1 or could it still be 2.0 x1?

20. avlan

avlan Notebook Guru

Dell's additional card. It uses PCIe just like ICH9's gigabit ethernet (they are not visible).

Also, E4300 model uses half-sized PCIe card for WiFi (Port#2). WWAN card has standard size (I don't know which port it is, but probably #1).

And this is Dutch, not German ;>