DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

1. PatrikL

PatrikL Newbie

Reputations:

So in other words, its probably bigger success rate if i use win8 in efi mode than win8/win7 in bios mode?
    But, i would like to get the intel card running since i would like to run optimus but i guess thats just a mather of time? or can it be done now?
    /BR
    Patrik

2. pinkpwnther

pinkpwnther Newbie

Reputations:
    I know this thread is very old and I hope that I get a response. =) I have a Dell Studio 1558 with an Intel Core i3 GPU and 6 gigs of ram. I installed the Verde 285.62 + kizwan's nvam.inf (32/64-bit) to work with my Nvidia GTX 460 that I have in my Vidock 4 plus. When I installed everything, it seemed to be working at first - my fps in WoW went from an average of 1-14fps on lowest graphics settings to 14-30fps on high graphics settings. However, my graphics score went down from 4.2 to 3.1, which seemed odd. I figured this was a mistake on my computers part though, as everything was running smoothy. That is, until I decided to run a dungeon (the high activity often makes my frame rate tank): my fps dropped to 3fps, occasionally stopping altogether. I also would get randomly logged off of WoW - I got kicked off 7 times over the course of 3-4 hours. I want very badly for this to work! please help me!! <3

~ Morgan

3. pinkpwnther

pinkpwnther Newbie

Reputations:
    Oops, sent message twice.

4. EpicBlob

EpicBlob Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You should be able to just install the regular NVidia desktop drivers from their site.

5. sgluhov

sgluhov Newbie

Reputations:
    oripash,
    Does the rig works without egpu? May be it is possible to install gma driver when rig is off?

6. oripash

oripash Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

The intel card is running. It just isn't running optimus. Yes, imho EFI is overall a bigger win.
    So long as you delete the c:\windpws\system32\drivers\igdkmd64.sys driver that any of the following install:
    [a] Windows setup
    Apple bootcamp (windows Support installer that installs all the apple drivers) setup
    [c] Intel Win8/64 driver from intel's website (the only one that doesn't come up with a yellow exclamtion mark).
    ALL the above are broken - the driver itself doesn't know how to digest the GMA without a bios at play.
    However, if the driver file isn't there, you'll get a yellow exclamation mark, the standard VGA driver will kick in, and it will work.
    View attachment 86489

7. oripash

oripash Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    dupe pls ignore.

8. Wall Screamer

Wall Screamer Newbie

Reputations:
    Having some problems with my eGPU. Can anyone help here?

I'm running a GTX465 on a Lenovo Thinkpad T420 with Windows 7, 8GB RAM, connected through PE4H and E2C2. I've been running this setup with relatively few problems for about a month. I typically boot by turning the eGPU on, plugging in the express card, and turning on my Lenovo. A few days ago, I hit the power button on the T420 to go into hibernate. When I came back, I was unable to get it to return for hibernation. In an attempt to get a response, I'm pretty sure I yanked the express card (rather stupid on my part), but still couldn't get anything to come up and was forced to power down by holding down the power switch. When I tried to turn it back on, my PC would not pick up the eGPU or show up on my external monitor, even when I used the same process as before.

I un-assembled and re-assembled the eGPU setup to make sure all the cables were connected properly. There are no problems; the GTX465, PE4H, and power suppy appear to be working fine. Still, the eGPU wouldn't be detected on start-up.

Today, I tried plugging in the express card of the running eGPU during the Windows boot sequence, rather than before. To my surprise, it worked! My eGPU was back up and running.

Then, however, I decided to download, install and play the latest Beta of Hawken. After installing, I ran the client, which loaded and then immediately crashed. Both my screens were black and totally unresponsive. Again, I yanked the express card (I really should stop doing that) in the hopes that something would come up on my laptop monitor. Nothing did, and I had to hard reset again. This time, Windows ran a rescue process when I booted back up, and I hit okay when asked to run something that would revert to an older state of Windows. Now, my eGPU is again not showing up, regardless of when I plug the express card in. Any ideas on what I should try to do?

UPDATE: It may be worth noting that my express card slot is not secure. The spring loading and unloading works, but when the express card is in what it supposed to be the "locked" position, I can still pull it out without too much force. Could this be the issue? I know that the express card itself works and is getting info, though. On the PE4H, there is a red light on when the E2C2 is not plugged in. When it is, the light turns green.

LAST UPDATE: PROBLEM SOLVED! All I had to do was install the latest NVIDIA drivers.

9. HopelesslyFaithful

HopelesslyFaithful Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  10. Sirios

Sirios Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everybody!

I've got everything up and running and made some tests. Only on internal screen, sorry.

Specs:
    Lenovo x220 (max config) i7-2640M\8GB\HDD320GB
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 670 AMP! Edition 2 GB (without overclocking)

3D Mark 11 (basic version, default preferences) 6034 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2620M Processor,LENOVO 4286CTO score: P6034 3DMarks

RE 5 (all preferences are on max, AA x4, V-Sync is off, 1366x768) 74,6 fps

Sleeping Dogs (all preferences are on max, V-Sync is off, 1366x768) min 40,9 max 68,8 fps

Battlefield 3 (FRAPS, all preferences are on max, V-Sync is off, 1366x768) min: 30fps - max: 93fps

Left4Dead2 (FRAPS, all preferences are on max, V-Sync is off, 1366x768, “The Parish”) Min: 48fps - Max: 101fps

Keep in mind my notebook specs and that all test were ran on internal screen, are all this results OK?

Thanks