DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just checked, and apparently the PE4L 1.5 is no longer available, so you cannot buy one of those to save on price unless you can get a used one. Not supporting the higher data rate just means your performance will be a bit lower. You can still use any card you want, with Nvidia 4xx, 5xx, and 6xx cards offering the best performance.

2. zetxo

zetxo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello first of all sorry for my bad english im not a native speaker.

Im writing because i need your help i have a problem with my system i just bought a PE4H + GTX560 to use it on a Sony Vaio Laptop here you can find my specs:

Model: VPCF13YFX
    Intel Core I.7 CPU Q740 @ 1.73 (8 CPU)
    Memory: 6GB
    Windows 7

My video card is getting detected i have installed the nvidia drivers for my video card GTX560 but when i run a game it just runs like before on my integrated 425M Video Card

Manager.png

I need your help please it have been a very hard work for me buying and using this system

3. skat

skat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Even some software shows the laptop has an empty PCIe port available, it doesn't mean the port is physically connected to a mPCIe slot. The popular WWAN/mSATA slots, although using the physical mPCIe slot, are usually connected via the USB interface pins (for WWAN cards support) and via the mSATA pins directly to the SATA controller (for mSATA cards support) and NOT to the PCIe controller (for eGPU support). At this moment it is very rare that motherboard designers would bother to put in a multiplexer to effectively enable both, the SATA control and PCIe control on the same mPCIe slot.

4. xxlukexx

xxlukexx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well - I've got the MSI Twin Frozer and it's really a "cool" GPU :).

I've done a lot of research during the weekend and noticed that the 3dmark06 isn't too sensitive on OCing the GPU. As you can see here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/e-gpu-external-graphics-discussion/418851-diy-egpu-experiences-811.html#post8278938 Khenglish's result after OCing his card didn't vary too much from the one before OCing. So it seems that basing my thoughts mainly on 3dmark06 wasn't too clever...

Also, after finding out the mentioned problem with 3dmark06 I started to check the GPU load and effects of OCing on a real game (Witcher 2) and:
    1) GPU was used at full load
    2) OCing gave me few FPS more

So, summing up, it seems that everything is fine and PE4L isn't a cause of bottleneck at the bandwith necessary for GTX 560 Ti. And that it's definately worth it to check your results with many benchmarks - not 3dmark only :)

5. FeralWolf

FeralWolf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Some games seem to result in more overhead/bandwith usage than others, even more if one uses the GPUs sound chip to output sound. A friend of mine with an GTX 580 on his laptop (merely ExpressCard x1.1) had bandwith problems resulting in microstuttering/lagging/unsmooth frames in Battlefield 3 while most other games worked fine.

But it is great to hear it works for you now, it seems a bit weird that one benchmark from multiple years ago doesn't stress the GPU fully (as any CPU should be enough for it) while an even older one does obviously in most cases, but it's good that you can use the games without a bandwith limit through PCIe x1!

It's for sure more important to have smooth gameplay than high benchmark scores in my opinion. :)

Much regards,

Wolf

6. thewalrus0034

thewalrus0034 Newbie

Reputations:
    I posted earlier about an issue I was having with my set up. I realized the D2 LED on my PE4L 2.1b does not light up. I also tried unplugging everything, but just connecting a 4pin, floppy connector, with the red cable removed and not in contact with anything. No LEDs lit. Is there a fix for this? My PE4H is working fine, I think the circuit is broken in my PE4L and it's not getting 3.3V. D1, D3, and D4 all light up when the EC is inserted.

7. alternal

alternal Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a problem with my eGPU setup.
    My system is unstable with Expess Card Pci-e port generation set to 2-nd.
    My videocard is detected without any intervention as Pci-e 1.1 @ 1.1 and in this case my system is stable all the time. I can play games for hours and I have no any problems.
    Using eGPU Setup 1x I change the Express Card Pci-e port generation to 2-nd. After windows loads I have next situation: after random period of time all my applications won't load. For exampe I start Gpu-z and it hangs on the program logo. Games start and hang. When I look in my Task Manager i see that "System" process loads 25% of my processor (1 thread) and all applications are in "freezed state". If this happens I can't turn off my system normally. It performs "log off" but hangs on "Shutting down" screen.
    I tried different ways of changing Express Card Pci-e port generation to 2-nd:
    1) With my express card already in laptop
    2) Doing startup.bat script for changing generation of EC slot and then hotpluging EC2C in my laptop.
    My statup.bat content is the following:
    call speedup lbacache
    call iport g2 3
    call vidwait 60 10de:0e22
    call grub4dos mbr

Any ideas what can be wrong? Tried with GTX 560TI and got the same situation. Can Pci Compaction in Setup 1x help me somehow?

8. xxlukexx

Reputations:
    I would definitely try the PCI compaction. When I want to set my PCI port o Gen2 I can't even boot up without PCI compaction so it's the first thing I would try.

9. alternal

alternal Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As instruction for Pci compaction I found this post http://forum.notebookreview.com/e-g...8851-diy-egpu-experiences-20.html#post5797441

This post is written for ViDock program, and not for Setup1x.

Can anyone write step by step instruction for Pci compaction using eGPU Setup 1x?

10. xxlukexx

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.