DIY eGPU experiences

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by master blaster, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    For hardware based internal LCD support to work without Optimus/Virtua/etc, would require Thunderbolt notebooks to be manufacturered as if they had a switchable dGPU (which would be the eGPU)

In the internal photos of the GUS-II I saw no electrical link between the circuitboard and the output Displayports/HDMI on the video card that would then route those signals back to the internal LVDS LCD by way of a mux.

If you are seeing an error 12 and do a DSDT override to resolve it then you wouldn't require Setup 1.x's pci-e compaction to try to correct that problem. In fact, the DSDT override is a simpler and preferred solution for those technical enough to try it. Still, Setup 1.x has other features like undo-whitelisting, gen1/gen2 port switching, initializing NVidia eGPUs. It's a great safeguard to get the best performance and compatibility of the eGPU across as many systems as possible

REF: Intel's Series-7 chipset has a x4 3.0 capable northbridge. We see the Thunderbolt is connect on the Northbridge (x4 2.0 or x4 3.0). The expresscard/mPCIe are connect on the Southbridge (x1 2.0). So unfortunately no x1.3Opt unless manufacturers use the Northbridge port for the expresscard slot. Would be great if they did as x1.3Opt would be approx the same as x4 2.0 in bandwidth but without the Thunderbolt licensing issues.

A GPU-Z screenshot shows it to be x4 2.0. In addition there were some benchmarks done with an external LCD showing it had the same performance as the internal LCD. Therefore it would mean they routed the LCD signals in such a way as to not impinge on the pci-e bandwidth.

If your Clevo has switchable graphics with a HD3000 then it's worth pursuing. If not, then don't bother as you won't get the Optimus "Opt" pci-e compression.

A GTX670@x1.2Opt will convincingly outbench your GTX560M (approx same as a desktop GTX550Ti/GTS450). Your system wouldn't have an expresscard slot so would need to do a mPCIe implementation using a PE4L-PM060A 2.1b.

Do you have an expresscard or Thunderbolt port. If the former then get a PE4L-EC060A 2.1b. If the latter (likely), then wait for a BPlus TH05 with ETA of July 2012 or a MSI GUS-II.

A Thunderbolt GTX670 eGPU @ x4 2.0 in your system will outbench all gaming notebooks except SLI GTX670M ones.

Sounds like the bios is seeing the eGPU on reboot causing the GTX460 bios text to come up. You want to prevent that by either setting the 7/15s PCI reset delay OR halt Win7 load with F8, hotplug the eGPU and continue the Win7 load.

2. ak-xs

ak-xs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    it doesn't have switchable gfx =/
    so it's really not worth it, no way to bypass the issue?
    (i don't want a portable solution, just more horsepower to game at home when using just the external monitor)

hmm i want results way above what a GTx550Ti can do too...
    can't it be done through 2 USB3.0, ethernet, mini IEEE 1394A or the e-SATA connections?

3. Stevehjger

Stevehjger Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you have an expresscard or Thunderbolt port. If the former then get a PE4L-EC060A 2.1b. If the latter (likely), then wait for a BPlus TH05 with ETA of July 2012 or a MSI GUS-II.

A Thunderbolt GTX670 eGPU @ x4 2.0 in your system will outbench all gaming notebooks except SLI GTX670M ones.

I do have a thunderbolt, so what I do now is waiting for either BPlus or GUS 2??
    What performance can I expect for eGPU gtx 670, comparing to the 7970m?

4. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Selling your notebook and getting a better eGPU candidate would be the easiest way to bypass the issue. Unfortunately NVidia locked the drivers such that it requires a x1 pci-e link and a Intel iGPU as the primary video device (X3150, 4500MD, HD, HD3000, HD4000) to activate the pci-e compression and accelerate performance 20-333% times. Without the pci-e compression you would never come close to bettering the GTX560M you currently have.

Yes. Wait for BPlus TH05 or MSI GUS-II to be released. As for performance, please review the GTX680 x4 2.0 results at Ivy Bridge PCI-Express Scaling with HD 7970 and GTX 680 Review | techPowerUp against HD7970M results you find on the web. A GTX670 can be overclocked to GTX680 levels so the contained GTX680 results would be a close match.

5. ak-xs

ak-xs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks man, that was really helpful.
    i could sell my HM and buy a P150EM which has optimus but clevo only sells the barebones with a gpu. so, it's not worth it for the money, since i can buy the GTX680M at less then barebone+GTX675M... seems like a no brainer ahaahh

now i only need to find where to buy the GTX680M.. anyone knows any EU eShop ?

6. mat9v

mat9v Newbie

Reputations:
    I may have a stupid question. Since PE4H sports 4 ports, can I connect 2xmPcie and ExpressCard connectors? Will it give me X3 speed? Does something like that even exist?

7. LANopop

LANopop Newbie

Reputations:
    Just to let you know, i used the wrong DVI cable (DVI-I Single-Link). Now i use a DVI-D (Dual-Link) cable and i can go up to 1680x1050x120hz.

8. abthegreat

abthegreat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Will it work with Lenovo g410
    Celeron 1.6ghz 2gb ram and 160gb hdd intel graphics?

which version should i get and the best card that will saturate the available bandwidth

9. timohour

timohour Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great news!!!
    According to this the new MacBook pro have 2 thunderbolt ports. That means that people with enough money could buy two TB to x4 3.0 adapters and do a crossfire setup @ x4-x4 3.0 (same performance as x8-x8 2.0). 3DMark11 GPU score (with 2x7970) would be ~ 17000 WOW! :)

Total cost though would be over 3000$!!! :(

10. Hunter20

Hunter20 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was waiting and looking for a laptop, but now i'm really in a dilemma.

I like the Vaio Z because it's screen (resolution, gamut, etc.)
    But now with the introduction of thunderbolt the macbook airs will be outperforming, but they do not have a fullhd screen with high gamut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.