DIY: Adding SSD or HDD storage using an optical bay caddy

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by User Retired 2, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbruser

nbruser Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    never HAD (knock-knock-knock) any problems with data in caddy, the only thing I had few freezes when HDD was in use and I was trying to adjust registers to make it work @ UDMA6 mode, but MBR workaround fixes this issue quite nicely.

Install SSD into primary bay and install HDD into caddy. This gives you maximum performance of the SSD.

2. Harmvos

Harmvos Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

A few days ago I have installed a SSD and a caddy for my old HD on my HP 8510w. I have installed Windows 7 and everything seems to work fine. However, during boot, the BIOS POST screen is being shown for about 20-30 seconds, while it was about 1-2 seconds without this set up.

After a few days googling and trying solutions, I found out it takes this long with or without the caddy, but it is fast if I reattach the old DVD drive. The same holds if I disable the optical drive in the BIOS; fast with DVD-drive, slow without.

Any help would be appreciated.

Laptop: 8510w
    SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 120 GB
    HD: Seagate Momentus 7200.2 (200 GB)
    DVD-drive: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7560A
    Caddy: http://www.ebay.nl/itm/320899669844...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1828wt_1186

Tried:
    - Reinstalling Windows 7 (with or without dvd drive/caddy)
    - Rebuilding MBR
    - Updating drivers/BIOS
    - Turning almost everything off in BIOS
    - Boot without SSD nor caddy/DVD-drive

If any more information is required, let me now.

3. nbruser

nbruser Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's a known issue you can only eliminate it if you either install DVD-Rom or reverse engineer HP Bios and find the place where it waits for drive detection.

It also happens on 8710p/w as well. No solution found as of yet. Timeout happens with/or without caddy (even if CD-Rom was disabled in BIOS).

4. Harmvos

Harmvos Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you nbruser for your quick reply! Too bad there's no solution yet...

5. HairyCube

HairyCube Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi,

I've got a serious problem with a HDD caddy on my laptop. Every time I restart the computer, it cuts power to the HDD installed in the caddy, making it spin up again as if there was a power failure. As far as I can see, it also does so every time the laptop starts up (i.e. the HDD starts to spin up, then the power gets cut off and it spins up again, sometimes making a weird sound). My biggest concern is that at some point it's going to fail due to this behavior. Also, windows startup is slow because it waits until the second HDD finishes spinning up. I was wondering if there's any solution to prevent it. I'm using a caddy produced by "nimitz". My laptop is Vostro 3450. I tried a different HDD, same problem. I have a friend who is using a different caddy on the same laptop, and he has the same problem.
    Someone suggested soldering a capacitor on the caddy's logical board, but I'm not really sure on how to do that.
    The laptop is HM67-based, the DVD port is SATA2 if that's important.
    Has anyone dealt with this issue before?

6. KrypteX

KrypteX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  7. icfree

icfree Newbie

Reputations:
    thk, my 2510p update

8. ff_29

ff_29 Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry to bump an old thread (and quote an even older post), but I've got the same issue and haven't been able to resolve it. The drive was previously in an ebay USB enclosure before moving to the caddy. In addition to the 30 MB/s transfer speed and the drive showing up as a USB HDD in my device manager, I've also noticed that it sometimes takes quite a while to access folders on the drive, and that programs trying to access files on the drive tend to hang for 10-20 sec. Have also had issues with mp3 files on the drive skipping during playback.

Any help would be appreciated (dumbed-down as much as possible, as I'm a bit of a noob with all of this)

Thanks!

9. ff_29

ff_29 Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone? Assuming the drive should not be showing up as a usb device, correct?

10. allmega

allmega Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Looks like this thread is dead but I hope not.
    I have a similar issue as the guys above me. I've got an ebay caddy sata to pata. SSD in the main bay and hdd in the caddy. Works fine at first but then it freezes, as if it was disconnected but it's installed snug. I updated bios, set bios hdd to compatibility mode and updated all hdd drivers and tried putting the ssd in the caddy instead and I'm getting the same problem either way. I've been reading through this huge thread and haven't found anything yet.
    Anyone know what's up with it? Bad caddy possibly?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.