DIY: Adding SSD or HDD storage using an optical bay caddy

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by User Retired 2, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbruser

nbruser Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    make sure you have correct order in the BIOS, so BIOS boots from your main 500gb drive (ofc if OS installed there)

2. r00tb33r

r00tb33r Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    yes my main drive 500gb has the OS installed on it and is set to be 1st in the list.
    when i attach the 120gb drive in the caddy my main drive is no longer detected by the bios the 120 is detected as the main storage when POST is checking system
    so i cant boot 500gb drive.

3. nbruser

Reputations:
    weird, what do you see in BIOS?

can you post a screen?

might be issue with the BIOS, need to check

try updating bios to the latest: http://support.acer.com/product/default.aspx?modelId=568

also, does your caddy have a jumper there? maybe you need to make it slave.

4. r00tb33r

Reputations:
    no there is no jumper on caddy or hdd,
    not an issue with the bios. i did say i have the latest bios for my laptop.
    i have attached 3 images for your viewing pleaseure 120gb in caddy.jpg drive in caddy.jpg no caddy - normal config.jpg

5. nbruser

Reputations:
    from what I can see both drives detected successfully, can you hit enter on the 2nd screen to select another drive?

6. r00tb33r

Reputations:
    NO its not possable to set the 500gb drive as a main drive when the 120 is in the caddy. the 500gb drive will refuse to boot when the caddy is in the slot with or with out a drive inside it.
    in the bios screen where you see the hitchi drive, that drive is inside the caddy. drive 1 should be the western digital drive. and it is shown when i dont have the caddy connected. the 500gb drive is not listed in drive list in the bios but it is shown in post, thee is no os on the hitachi drive its just files.

7. nbruser

Reputations:
    very weird.

as a workaround you can install on 120gb grub bootloader and try to boot from 500Gb drive

8. niofar

niofar Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I bought and installed a caddy in my hp dv6t-2000, and now I need to install an SSD. The question is ... where? Do I install it instead of the HDD in the primary bay? Could I have problems with motion (have primary bay a motion sensor?)?
    Thank You

9. spandexninja

spandexninja Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone had problems with data corruption with one of these caddys?

I recently had a SATA to USB adapter corrupt my data (due to a bad controller that is used in many cheap adapters) and now I'm scared that these caddy controllers will corrupt my data.

10. gazzacbr

gazzacbr Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi,
    i also have an Acer 6920G and have had a second hard drive in the dvd bay for > 2 years (memory is fading).
    i recently bought 2 500gb ssds but have had various combinations of hd's.
    i use BootIt from Terabyte to multi boot many (up to 7 or 8) different os's in at least 10 partitions on the 2 drives. i can just select swap drive in the boot options for each operating system then drive 1 becomes 0 and 0 becomes 1. windows needs to boot from hd0 but some 'others' dont mind being hd1.
    i have no connection with Terabyte, i just use it (for about 5 years, long before the 2nd hdd) and it is completely trouble free. it is free to try for a few weeks but will cost whoa! just checked the price and its $40 (i think it was $20 when i bought it)
    ok, its really not cheap but it will instantly solve your problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.