DIY: Adding SSD or HDD storage using an optical bay caddy

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by User Retired 2, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ninjaturtle

ninjaturtle Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Heavyloader.

I have a HP DV6 3143us and bought a cheaply made 12.7mm bay from ebay a couple of weeks ago and had to modify the bezel mount and the SATA PCB board a little to fit my PC.

Can you take a picture of your DVD bezel so I can see the eject button's arm that hits the switch, and one for the bezel mounting clips.

2. ninjaturtle

ninjaturtle Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. narcoticx2

narcoticx2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just thought i'd report in and mention I've successfully fit a 1.5TB hard drive in to my laptop via an optical bay caddy...

With the prices of hard drives soaring, I jumped on the 1.5TB Seagate Expansion portable drive, knowing it housed a 14mm 1.5TB 2.5" drive at around half the price of a bare 750GB drive.

The laptop is a Clevo P150, the optical bay caddy an ebay cheapie. It sits rather snugly with minimal bulging. The drive is only 1.3mm higher than the caddy itself, so it was a risk but it's working just fine, lid closes properly etc.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

4. Kogarasumaru

Kogarasumaru Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the dv5t-1000 and recently bought the Kingston V100 SSD to be used as my boot/system drive. The current HDD, WD Scorpio Black, will be installed on a caddy and become my storage drive. Is there any problems/difficulties I should know about if I decide to install a 3rd party caddy?

This is the caddy I plan to buy: Ebay link

5. ntheo

ntheo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

The Clevo's optical drive bay is designed for a 12.7mm drive correct yet it can accommodate the larger drive. I wonder if other laptops can do that also.

I'm looking to getting this one for the HP dv6z QE.

It should work right?

Thanks

6. Xeneize

Xeneize Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey DR650SE, sorry I tried searching the thread but still unclear.... this port is indeed SATA 2 correct?

7. DR650SE

DR650SE The Whiskey Barracuda

Reputations:
    The port on the optical HDD caddy? Probably. Can't say for sure. It may be on the website, but the R2 is Sata 2. Don't know how it would work on a SATA 3 system. Though if your using a HDD, I think the HDD is bottlenecked by the drive itself, not sata 2/3. So at that point I don't think it matters.

8. jhl1989

jhl1989 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't understand, but does this mean you can have both SSD and HDD inside your laptop?

9. hankaaron57

hankaaron57 Go BIG or go HOME

Reputations:
    You can stick whatever fitz man. This turns your optical bay into an HDD bay. Which means 95% of SSDs will fit too, as they are default 2.5" form factor. Many nowadays come with a 3.5" caddy for desktops as well.

10. prosetheus

prosetheus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.