DIY: Adding SSD or HDD storage using an optical bay caddy

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by User Retired 2, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trvelbug

trvelbug Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    i was actually planning on upgrading my hdd in the caddy to 1tb hdd hence my interest in this topic.
    i really cant remember if someone in this thread has actually used a 1tb with a caddy but i guess it wouldnt hurt to ask newmodeus' customer support.

ive had two caddies. the first one exhibited intermitent connection/disconnection issues and heating (hwmonitor) until it eventually failed after a day. the new one works fine.

i would start out by trying to reseat your caddy, backreading this thread to see if others have gotten a 1tb working, monitoring your hdd temps and contacting newm support.

2. Pzkfw5

Pzkfw5 Newbie

Reputations:
    I actually contacted Newmodeus ages ago about it, but their response was quite limited.

Beyond adjusting the power options in Windows 7 (which achieved nothing), I'm abit at a loss on it all.

3. nbruser

nbruser Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    what kind of Newmodeus caddy are you talking about?

SATA-SATA-B or SATA-PATA-B ?

4. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Studio 1535 uses a GM965 chipset with ICH8M IO. It's optical drive has a PATA controller, so your caddy would have a sata-to-pata bridge on it.

The ebay caddy uses a Marvell and the newmodeus uses a Sunplus bridge.

A 2510P has had better success with the ebay caddy as explained, something I'd suggest you try.

5. gvo

gvo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Very helpful post. Thanks

6. Pzkfw5

Pzkfw5 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, Thanks for your post. Although the post you linked perfectly explained the problem I had, the caddy I got was a OBHD-SATA12-SATA-NF which is Sata to Sata?

I've checked the DVD drive I've removed and some online instructions and I'm pretty sure it's a Sata connected device. Is there any tests I can do to determine where the problem lay?

7. HeavyLoader

HeavyLoader Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I currently own a HP Pavilion DV5-1034tx and I'm interesting in swapping out the ODD for a HDD Caddy. I did a search through this thread but couldn't find anyone with the same laptop as mine (either that or my searching skillz leave much to be desired).

Newmodeus is too expensive so I'm going the eBay route. My ODD enclosure should be 12.7mm high, and my chipset is ICH9M. So I'm looking at a sata-to-sata one?

12.7mm sata caddy | eBay

How do I know that the caddy I'm buying will be compatible? I really don't wanna screw up here :(

Edit: Did a bit more checking, here's what i'm using -

optiarc dvd rw ad-7561s ata

Dumb question - Is this SATA ? I read the HP DV5 service and maintenance manual but none of my laptop specs are listed there (Not even the P7350 CPU).

8. trvelbug

Reputations:
    try to google a pic of a sata connection just to make sure.
    for the caddy itself just make sure it is a sata-sata caddy. many sellers advertise it as sata but is actually sata out and ide in or vice versa. read the descriptions very carefully

9. HeavyLoader

HeavyLoader Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dismantled and took a photo -

[​IMG]

Sure looks SATA-ish to me :)

Now all I need to do is find a reputable eBay retailer who won't screw me over. Anybody with any suggestions ? :confused:

10. trvelbug

Reputations:
    i bought mine over a year ago and i cant remember my seller.
    just do the usual due diligence by checking the reputation , how long theyve been in business, customer feedback, and shoot them a few emails.

where are you from? your customs/postal service is also a factor in this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.