DIY: Adding SSD or HDD storage using an optical bay caddy

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by User Retired 2, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malibusa

malibusa Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

please I need your help,
    i coudn't find the command "disablenotify"

2. arvispp

arvispp Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all

I try to modify my P7230 with replace DVD drive to 2nd ATA drive.
    NB bios find new drive with name DEVICE1. But I have one big proble. NB Can't boot from DEVICE1 because NB bios no have posibility to chose boot from DEVICE1.
    How do You solve this problem.

Bios version1.11

Thanks in advance....

3. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    You add your OS boot item to your bootmanager (bootmgr, ntldr, grub2) on DEVICE0 directing it to boot off DEVICE1.

4. 1313

1313 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

I'm trying to confirm a BIOS cap on a studio 1535 since I get rather low performance from my new M4 128 GB. However, I don't fully understand what needs to be done so I'm looking for some guidance.

But first a question: In the screenshot it says offset 0Ah (digits 3 and 4 from left), shouldn't that be digits 5 and 6 from the left? The way I see it, the first two numbers are offset 08h, the next two 09h and the fifth and sixth are offset 0Ah. But what do I know?

Anyway, I included some screenshots of baredit on my system. Following the instructions I need to check bits 11-31 from offset 24, which gives me 1DFF6F hex. Then what?

Or should i check bits 20-23 from the address at offset 24? They are neither 0001 nor 0010 ...

Attached Files:

5. arvispp

arvispp Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,
    Thanks for answer,

I try to boot with grub4dos, but when i disconenct primary original HDD from bios boot manager not detect new hdd. This hdd detect on bios, but your not detect grub manager.
    When i connect original hdd, gru find new hdd and boot from you.

Strange situation..

6. lerdlarp

lerdlarp Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks to this thread, I now have a crucial m4 in my main drive and a 500. Gb 7200 rpm drive in the dvd bay using a 12.7 fenvi adapter on my i5-2410m HP ProBook 4330s with the original faceplate on my laptop. Thank you everyone, and nando4 especially.

Now, I have an extra Fenvi adapter as bought one extra from Ebay while waiting impatiently for the other to arrive. Anyway I'm selling it at starting price of $11 shipped. Ebay

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  7. notroxcity

notroxcity Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

im having this exact same problem w my acer timelineX 4830TG. installed a caddy since i bought an agility 3. both BIOS and boot manager do not detect my 2nd HDD. i cannot boot from the 2nd HDD. does the problem lie in the BIOS or does it have to do with the caddy itself?

8. Pzkfw5

Pzkfw5 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello all. Thanks to this thread, I've upgraded my old Dell 1535 Studio 15 with Windows 7 Professional 32bit, a Newmodeus caddy/WD 1TB hdd and a SSD as the primary drive.

However, if I put the computer in sleep mode or turn it off for long periods of time, the hdd in the caddy becomes not detectable in "My computer" or "Disk Management".

To get the hdd to be detectable, I have to reset my laptop 2 or 3 times before I can have access to it again. Strangely enough, the 1tb hdd is always visible in the "Fix bay device" within bios settings as a 1000gb hdd.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

9. trvelbug

trvelbug Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    is the newmodeus caddy rated to work with a 1tb hdd?

10. Pzkfw5

Pzkfw5 Newbie

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.