DIY: Adding SSD or HDD storage using an optical bay caddy

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by User Retired 2, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hahutzy

Hahutzy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It means you can swap between the caddy and your optical drive without the need to reboot the computer.

But yes, you'll have to clear the cache and whatnot first before you unplug it, I think that's what the red "safe to remove harddrive" icon was in the first post's taskbar.

2. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Hotswapping the optical drive and 2.5" drive in optical bay caddy

Hotswap! provides a Safely Hotswap Hardware system tray icon to simplify disabling the device prior to removal or scanning the system when inserted. Allows hotswapping in/out the optical drive and 2.5" drive in optical bay caddy if using a primary SSD or HDD. Hotswapping is supported by the ICHxM SATA/PATA interfaces. So can for example watch a DVD with the optical drive then swap in a 2.5" HDD to access your multimedia files or documents.

[​IMG]

3. Hahutzy

Hahutzy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey nando4, do you know of any stores that are located in Canada or ship to Canada?

It seems that the ebay stores are selling caddies for much cheaper. However, I haven't been able to find one that's a Generic SATA 12.5mm (as opposed to "caddy for Thinkpad T300"), are there any generic 12.5mm SATA ones in those ebay stores that I'm failing to see?

4. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    The ebay and newmodeus caddy vendors listed in the first post ship internationally. newmodeus charging $4US to Canada, some of the ebay caddys with free shipping included in their cost.

12.7mm SATA ebay caddy not available from my findings. Though still viable via 2 steps (1) Buy a 12.7mm caddy for it's chassis (2) buy the 9.5mm SATA caddy for it's SATA circuit board and swap it into 12.7mm chassis. Or ask notebookelite for an integrated product. Otherwise the newmodeus 12.7mm SATA caddy is the most integrated solution. Though costs $42US + delivery.

Notebookelite are the distributors of the Fenvi product and can surely make a 12.7mm SATA product by swapping the SATA-to-PATA circuit board for just a SATA circuit board. The latter simply rewiring the interface and definitely costs less to manufacture than the SATA-to-PATA one. I am baffled why they and other ebay vendors don't have a 12.7mm SATA caddy to begin with. There's plenty of MSI/Asus/Clevo/Sager gaming/performance systems equipped with 12.7mm SATA optical drives that could make use of one.

5. Darth Bane

Darth Bane Dark Lord of the Sith

Reputations:
    anyone done this with an msi laptop before?

6. Hahutzy

Hahutzy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For NewmodeUS, use coupon code FB072808 on checkout to get 5% off, valid until 10/28/2009

EDIT 1: July 14 - Came out to $51 CAD

EDIT 2: July 14 - Shipped within an hour of payment.

EDIT 3: July 19 - Turns out they haven't shipped yet, they just "sent the info to the shipping place"?

EDIT 4: July 22 - It's because my shipping was not tracked, silly me. It's been shipped since the week of July 14.

EDIT 5: July 28 - Arrived. Installed. Had trouble fitting it at first, but it eventually fit snuggly. Confirmed recognized by BIOS and bootable for Asus G50VT. 1.5TB storage space anyone?

7. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    Yes - optical drive has a sata port. e-sata/usb cables are available to make your sata optical drive function as an external unit so can plug it into an e-sata or USB port.

Using a mini pci-e socket to add an additional USB port on optical bay caddy's faceplate

The 2530P optical bay caddy faceplate has incorporated a USB port, designed to plug into a systemboard USB socket. This could be easily be adapted to other systems, though you'd likely want a matching faceplate. Maybe newmodeus can offer a custom caddy with an extra USB port??

Wiring up the extra USB port can be done easily if you're prepared to thread some wires from your mini pci-e card slot to your optical drive. The mini pci-e socket has USB pins (pin 36, 38) that you can tap off for an additional USB connection. Easiest is to use an ebay $4US mini pci-e adapter, attaching to the USB wires and lobbing off the rest. These adapters are designed for netbooks. If you are already using a mini pci-e card, could directly solder the USB port's wires onto the USB pins of that card.

[ note: you may get excited believing your notebook has SATA mini pci-e signals based on seeing flash_con as is on ASUS netbooks. This is not true. Those pins lead to sata controller on netbooks. but not for notebooks.]

8. Hahutzy

Hahutzy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nah I decided to just get the newmodeus caddy after you answered me the first time, because I wanted a caddy that had SATA to SATA and USB built in.

If I wanted to solder stuff onto my comp I would've done it already.
    Thanks though!

9. h0w1er

h0w1er Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm clear with ICH9M,SATA-SATA.
    But how to derminate what is mine 9.5 or 12.7 on Clevo M860TU (SAGER 8660/8662)?

[​IMG]

Because of size, it starts as huge one, but on other side it's really thinny one.

Many thanks in advance.

10. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    Update newmodeus' 12.7mm sata-to-pata and 12.7mm sata optical bay caddys allow 12.7mm 2.5" HDDs to be installed. An easy way to add an extra 1TB 2.5" 12.7mm HDD to your system. Links to new products added in updated first post. Ie: newmodeus tells us:

Add a Second Hard Drive (drive size up to 12.7mm in height) to your laptop using your laptop's optical drive bay. This is a great solution for those that want to take advantage of the higher capacity 750GB and 1TB 2.5" drives! Add it as a second hard drive in the laptop in lieu of a PATA
    [edit: or SATA for ICH9M+] Optical drive. This device/caddy will fit in a "standard 12.7mm-high" PATA [edit: or SATA for ICH9M+] CD/DVD/Optical drive bay found in laptop computers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.