DIY: Adding SSD or HDD storage using an optical bay caddy

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by User Retired 2, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    The optical drive internally has a circuit board that connects to the rotating mechanism via a proprietory thin zif-ended ribbon cable that doesn't resemble the connections on any 2.5" sata or pata drive I've ever seen. So short answer is, what you propose is not conveniently possible.

Why would you bother? An ebay optical bay caddy is $14-28US delivered. The sata-to-pata ones for ICH8M or older I/O chipsets incorporating a bridge chip to do the interface translation to allow SATA SSD or HDD to be used.

2. bass4040

bass4040 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So the notebook would look the same with the original optical bay

3. TehSuigi

TehSuigi Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Is there any difference in terms of compatibility between the eBay caddies (which seem to be all HP-branded) and the newmodeus ones?

4. Hahutzy

Hahutzy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I see that the caddy has enough room for a hard drive and a bit more. I'm wondering if there's a caddy that provides a SATA port as well as maybe a USB port?

Now that I think about it, the optical drive SATA port, in a way, is just an eSATA port, right?

5. bifnewman

bifnewman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i dont know much about optical drives so for the sager np9262 what optical drive caddy would i need for a 4th hdd? that would be great and could extend space to up to 2TB of storage!!! I think the sager np9262 will support the Panasonic UJ-220 right? Will the Sager NP9262 support hot swappable optical drives? I don't understand how this works with the previous optical drive as it doesnt have the little button at the bottom that ejects it...

6. Kingcodez

Kingcodez Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The Macbook Pro's seem to use the ICH9M chipset, does this mean that I simply have to buy a $50 caddy, as opposed to MCE OptiBay's $100+ Expensive caddy?

Inside of a MBP there's just a slot loader, I'd imagine that if the caddy is slightly too big, I can just chop the door part off. I'm mainly worried about the thing moving around/losing connection, and having something that can give me a bit of extra room for custom mods. (GPS, FM Trans, Wireless Reciever for my Xbox, ect.)

The MBPs use a 9.5mm Drive.

7. hkseo100

hkseo100 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Up to 1GB of internal storage. If install a 500GB HDD in both optical bay caddy and primary bay.

heh. should be 1TB just a minor unnoticed mistake.

8. Hahutzy

Hahutzy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hm unfortunately, I think I need a 12.7mm OBHD for my G50VT, so this caddy won't work.
    I'll maybe give newmodeus a shout later.
    Do you know if newmodeus ships to Canada?

9. bifnewman

bifnewman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    thanks... up to 2TB of storage is awesome...

EDIT: still dont understand the hotswap feature, dont you have to take apart the notebook to get to the optical drive?

10. davepermen

davepermen Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    nope. most notebooks can just plug out the optical drive without issue. the dell at work even has a huge button just for that :)

but obviously, for hdd's, you need to first flush all caches to disk before taking it out, or it may result in a loss of data.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.