DIY: Adding SSD or HDD storage using an optical bay caddy

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by User Retired 2, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. octagonalman

octagonalman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    nando4, what's your particular setup?

2. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Nvidia 9400M chipset compatibility

For your NV9400m chipset, just measure how tall your optical drive is (12.7mm or 9.5mm) and look at the plug on the back of the optical drive as shown here to see if it's a SATA or PATA optical drive. Then can just follow the Optical bay caddy configuration matrix, disregarding the I/O Chipset column, to get the optical bay caddy you require.

To be pedantic with the hotswapping, would need double-checking to see what chip is handling the optical drive interface and whether it supports hotswapping. It appears the nv9400 is a SATA chip, so if the optical bay interface is SATA, it would be handling I/O and would support hotswapping.

Exceptions using additional boards on the optical drive

There are some rare systems such as the HP TX2500 that require special attention since they have an additional boards attached on the optical drive as shown here. That board requiring transplant onto the caddy instead.

Obviously hotswapping would need that same board on both the optical drive and optical drive caddy. So would need purchase of a second board to put on the back of the optical bay caddy, or the supplied board *might* be able to be affixed onto the systemboard such that the optical bay caddy/optical drive just slide onto it.

3. diskfreak

diskfreak Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Please be aware that some HP notebooks with ICH8M seem to have a limitation on the optical bay connection ( maybe in the BIOS) limiting the speed of the hard drive in the optical bay to multiword DMA 2 resulting in a speed around 15 MB/s. Nando4 doesn´t really seem to accept this problem, but it is discussed in the following thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=4955508#post4955508

Please post if you succeed to get a higher speed with a hard drive in the optical bay on any HP notebook with ICH8M and the primary hard drive on SATA. So far the problem has been described on two 8710w and one 6510b machine.

4. paper_wastage

paper_wastage Beat this 7x7x7 Cube

Reputations:
    well, my dell m1330 is a slot loading 9.5mm dvd drive... this might be useful if i want more storage, since replacing the dvd drive means taking almost the whole machine apart... oh well, think i will stick to external hdd for now

5. Athinu

Athinu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have been looking for a drive caddy for my clevo m570tu based notebook (sager 5797).
    Problem is the bezel is not standard on this laptop and I want it to look good.
    Went to a site where they sell drive caddies and they didnt support clevo/sager/xxodd (as of yet),
    they have an universal one but I think it will look like crap..
    Anyone perhaps have experience with fitting a hd in the optical bay on a m570tu based notebook?

6. LPTP-LVR

LPTP-LVR Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  7. Athinu

Reputations:
    Hi thnx for the reply I shouldve added a pic earlier on, sorry this is how the optical drive looks like (bezel adjusted a bit for clarity) [​IMG]

8. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Sager 5797's optical drive looks to be a 12.7mm unit with a custom faceplate that tapers on the bottom right corner. It's a ICH9M chipset, so a 12.7mm newmodeus SATA caddy would be suitable. Though the caddy faceplate would require a dremelling workover to allow it to fit all nicely. OR the faceplate can be detached, so the caddy slides in without it, providing extra venting (??). Could also go the ebay option, but 12.7mm SATA requires a bit of legwork as explained in first post.

9. Athinu

Reputations:
    Thanks again Nando

10. bass4040

bass4040 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If I don't want to use the original dvd drive, can I remove the internals and connect a hard drive? This is so I don't have to buy another optical bay caddy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.