1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Dissapearing Battery Charge (E6400)

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by batdams, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. batdams

batdams Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This seems to happen fairly often. Yesterday I had my computer on standby and plugged into the mains for several hours in the afternoon. I turned it on, shut it down (without looking at the battery status) and went somewhere and when I turned it back on the charge was at 6%.

Today I was using the laptop and the charge was at 70%, I shut the computer down and put it in my bag. Turned it on again in a couple of hours and the battery again is at 6%.

Anyone else have this issue with their E6400 or have any idea what's causing it...

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    6 cell or 9 cell battery?

Occasionally my E6400 has mis-reported the charge status of the 9 cell battery and tells me that it is almost empty. However, I have satisfied myself that it is a communication problem by running the computer for some hours on the battery. A couple of restarts later and everything is OK again. What make is your battery. RMClock identifies my 9 cell as Panasonic.

John

3. batdams

batdams Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's the 9 cell battery I have. I tried installing the RMClock utility but Windows doesn't allow unsigned drivers. Any other way to check it without disabling the Windows 7 check?

I've turned the laptop on again and it reports an 88% charge. From 6% to 88% in about 3 minutes worth of charging...

:mad:

4. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    There's a signed RTcore.sys driver available. See near the end of the undervolting guide.

John