1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

DisplayPort carries audio?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by yoda911, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yoda911

yoda911 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a Dell 2408 monitor connected to my M6400 via the display port but there is no audio going thru to the built in speakers in the 2408? Has anybody been able to accomplish this. Is this an issue with the M6400's port not carrying audio...or the 2408 not able to pull the audio from the display port

2. CorporateTraveller

CorporateTraveller Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have 3008 and I can only get audio on HDMI, not displayport. I couldn't tell you if it's laptops' problem or display problem.

3. davenport

davenport Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It can carry audio, It could also carry multiple video streams. My Latitude E6400 connected to 3008WPF via DisplayPort with Dell Speaker Bar plugged into the headphone jack and powered from the monitor, I do not have audio output. The audio plays only on the laptop.

It could just be a driver issue, but I would not expect audio support anytime soon.

4. SpeedyMods

SpeedyMods Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You do need to manually change the audio output to Digital Out (I think that's the label, might be High Definition or something).

Greg

5. davenport

davenport Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just ran a couple more tests. My digital audio appears to be on by default, I am not sure where the setting that you are referencing is located. I have the IDT audio drivers. I just tried a DisplayPort to HDMI converter and still have the speaker bar plugged into the audio out on the monitor. No sound. Blu-ray Player to the HDMI input has sound.

6. sesshomaru

sesshomaru Suspended Disbelief!

Reputations:
    In control panel, under sounds, right click the option other than speakers/headphones, and select set as default.. If that's already done.. then it could be a driver issue..

7. jwerx

jwerx Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    No way to do this in XP eh? I don't see any of these menu's in XP SP3 on my E6500.

8. Yura80

Yura80 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    YES, it carries audio!
    I'm using it through DisplayPort->HDMI adapter connected to my Marantz SR4002 AV receiver. I can get stereo PCM as well as AC3/DTS passthrough.

To enable it in XP, check both "PC speaker OFF" and "SPDIF" in volume settings.

9. Intoxicate

Intoxicate Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The question was if you can get rid of an audio cable, when you use a pure Display Port connection. At the moment most monitors don't support audio over DP. When you use a DP-2-HDMI adapter it's no suprise that audio works (that was already said in the 2nd. post ;) )

10. Yura80

Reputations:
    My post was mainly addressed to jwerx to confirm that it works fine in XP.

11. jwerx

jwerx Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks.

Now I don't seem to see SPDIF anywhere in the volume properties. I wonder if it's only displayed if I have a DP or HDMI to DP adapter plugged in.

I ordered one and I think it'll come in the mail today or tomorrow.

12. Yura80

Reputations:
    1) Launch "Volume Control" (by doubleclicking speaker tray icon).
    2) Enable "Advanced Controls" in the "Options" menu.
    3) Click "Advanced" button. There you should see "SPDIF out" and "PC speaker off" options.

13. jwerx

jwerx Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I see a PC Speaker off checkbox option but nothing with SPDIF out. I'm not on my machine so I'll take a screen shot later today when I get home.

I have the latest IDT sound drivers installed from the dell website.

14. Dell-Mano_G

Dell-Mano_G Company Representative

Reputations:
    Audio out of the Displayport is only supported via the displayport to HDMI dongle currently.
    Mano@Dell

15. jwerx

jwerx Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Advanced Controls for Volume Control
    Tone Controls - Bass, Treble: Both Greyed out.
    Other Controls - 1 PC Spk Mute Checkbox.

I don't have S/PIF out. Do I need the NVidia card for this? I just have the regular intel graphics card.

James

16. jwerx

jwerx Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    When I hook my laptop to the TV via a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter (MonoPrice DP to HDMI adapter http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042801&p_id=4826&seq=1&format=2)

I can see that when I go to the Volume Manager

I can see in the Properties there are two Devices
    IDT Audio and HDMI

If I select IDT Audio I see a disable PC Speaker option whereas if I select HDMI I see a Disable Digital Output.

When I do have it on HDMI I still have no audio. :\

17. orei

orei Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    there isn't any option to connect displayport or hdmi port (with convert cable) to any digital amp with optical or coaxial digital input?

Only the latest and newest digital amp got hdmi and similar.. the older got only coaxial and digital.. i don't wanna change my amp...

how can fix it?

18. kickace

kickace Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    works fine in windows 7 also.

i am using a displayport to hdmi adapter....and have the TV set as the default player for audio, which automatically goes back to the computer when i unplug the wire.

19. kickace

kickace Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    your TV probably has a digital audio output, so plug the hdmi into the TV, then use the digital output on your TV to the audio receiver allowing for the true digital sound on your sound system

20. paddy_pilani

paddy_pilani Newbie

Reputations:
    I have Windows 7 too.
    I have Lenovo Thinkpad R500 laptop. Connected to my HDTV via
    Displayport to HDMI adapter. I am having hard time making my cable to carry audio input too. Can you pls tell me if you have changed any settings for enabling audio through your displayport to hdmi adapter?