Displaying a game in 2560x1440 on a 3840×2160 native panel.

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by ignorant, Aug 20, 2020.

1. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This is the best solution. :vbthumbsup:

2. yrekabakery

Reputations:
    In that case, you want to enable GPU Scaling from within the Image Sharpening setting in Nvidia Control Panel. This will use a higher quality upscaler and apply sharpening to improve clarity when using non-integer sub-native resolutions.

ignorant likes this.
  3. yrekabakery

Reputations:
    Interpolation of non-native resolutions is a drawback of LCD displays. The newest and ultimate upscaling technique, only supported on RTX GPUs, is DLSS 2.0, which uses the Tensor Cores and trained data, to upscale from a lower resolution that actually improves image quality over native resolution. For example, 4K with DLSS 2.0 upscales from an internal resolution of 1440p while looking better than native 4K with no upscaling. Not all games support DLSS 2.0, but for the ones which do, such as Death Stranding and Control, the result is phenomenal, and it's a huge boost to performance on top of improving image quality.

Aroc and tilleroftheearth like this.
  4. ignorant

ignorant Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Now this is information that is useful.

5. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ive tried different scaling resolutions on none native panels. in short it works but it only looks good if your doing 1:2 scaling. 1080p on 4k, or 540p on 1080p, etc. What I would really like is a panel that can scale pixel clock linearly with resolution. So if I can do 60hz on a 4k panel, I would like to be able to down scale and do 1080p at 240hz. Same pixel bandwidth, just my choice of resolution or refresh rate.

tilleroftheearth likes this.