Display Resolution Race to 4K: Retina-like Displays of the Future

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by yknyong1, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMATX

AMATX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Gonna take monster video cards and a lot of bandwidth to make these new monitors work. Gaming on a high res screen would be a real video hog.

2. whitrzac

whitrzac The orange end is cold...

Reputations:
  3. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    We have the technology
    Same as could have been said of 1080p just ten years ago. What a difference a day makes?

4. HopelesslyFaithful

HopelesslyFaithful Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    your chart is off on so many levels 2011 and earlier screens are 2560x1600 tabelts in 2011 were 1980x1200 with the asus prime. Notebooks in 2011 are 1920x1200 and cell phone sin 2011 were 720p...your chart blows

EDIT: Also what is up with using this Retina display moniker? Absolutely retarded. Also who cars about DPI...only thing that matters is total res....retarded I hate hearing this well the iphone has 300dpi and the glaxy nexus only has 200dpi or whatever....the nexus has a better res by miles who cares about dpi

5. EasyCruz

EasyCruz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Panasonic outs 'world's smallest and thinnest' 4K x 2K IPS LCD monitor

The world's smallest and thinnest? Unfortunately the company conveniently left out its actual size, but what looks to our eyes like a 15 or 17-inch display that's also only 3.5mm thin? Alright, we'll bite. For those that can do math, that's an array of 8 million pixels and vibrant from all angles thanks to IPS-Pro technology. That's great Panasonic, but put it in a tablet or a laptop and we'll show you the greenbacks. Turns out it's 20.4-inches.

2012 - Panasonic Corporation, a leader in high-definition display technology, has developed a 20-inch 4K2K (3,840 x 2,160 resolution, approx. 8.29 million pixels) IPS Alpha LCD panel, the smallest(*1) as a 4K2K-resolution display. The new panel has the world's highest pixel density of 216 pixels per inch (ppi) and the thickness of only 3.5 mm, the thinnest in the world(*1) .

The 4K2K IPS Alpha LCD panel employs two new technologies, "Pixel structure with ultra-high aperture ration structure" and "New liquid-crystal molecular orientation process technology".

Panasonic's new technologies enable viewers to enjoy, from any angle, ultra-high definition videos that show fine lines and texts crisp and clear on the screen and faithfully reproduce lifelike images with subtle textures and even a sense of depth.

6. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Except with mobile phones, where guys compare together who has the smallest... :D

7. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    Have you seen phones lately? 4.3"/4.5"/4.7"/5.3"...

"Who has the smallest phone" ended in like 2005, I think.

8. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    smallest phone race will be back when they get projection on the eye thing right.
    Even smaller is wanted if they can stimulate optic nerve w/o the eyes ~~

Human naked eye is bottleneck :p

9. HopelesslyFaithful

HopelesslyFaithful Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    that is true but we also can't process that much information effectively :) I love how in movies they have displays displaying like a million things and they act like they understand and can read it all at once and can act on it :)

10. Fat Dragon

Fat Dragon Just this guy, you know?

Reputations:
    I like the idea of that chart. I don't like the fact that there's no real evidence of those rapidly-increasing resolutions in notebooks.

I can see jaggies in 11 point text on my Envy 14's 1600x900 screen from 3 feet away. When I do simple image editing, it's even worse, and that's a good screen. As long as color, contrast, and brightness don't suffer as DPI increases, I'm totally for it. As others have said, if you're multiplying the pixels in each axis, then all you have to do is divide them back down for what should be a flawless reproduction of gaming at the original resolution - i.e. 1920x1080 gaming on a 3840x2160 screen should look exactly the same as on a 1920x1080 screen, but, with proper scaling, everything else will look better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.