Display Resolution Race to 4K: Retina-like Displays of the Future

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by yknyong1, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Yes, I do realize it. I tried to see if I can "fix" the higher dpi on my brother's m15x (15,4" 1920x1200), to fit my needs, but everything end-up ugly, so I'll stick with 1280x800 for now. There are hints that the new Mountain Lion is Retina ready, but then again, it's not vector based, just double set of icons, as it's with the current iOS devices. We'll see pretty soon.

2. Peon

Peon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Sounds like Intel misses the clock speed race era and wants to start another pointless "bigger numbers are better" game. I guess they didn't learn any lessons from the Pentium 4.

Given how virtually all laptops use TN panels - crappy ones, mind you - I'd like to see actual problems like viewing angles, color gamut and contrast being addressed before we start talking about nice to have things like higher resolutions.

3. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    Who says IGZO panels don't address all of that? Higher resolution usually comes with, at least, marginally better contrast. Viewing angles are a different story, but since IGZO is replacing TFT... it may not suffer from those issues much, if any. Color gamut, IDK. I'm guessing that gamut was factored into the development of the technology, and there will be varying grades of these panels. Higher grade, more contrast/brightness/gamut. They should all be an improvement over current TN TFT panels.

Sharp started producing IGZO panels in bulk in April, so I'm guessing there's going to be a LOT of devices coming this fall with them.

4. Peon

Peon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    How much do IGZO panels cost? New display technologies are introduced all the time, but they rarely catch on in any meaningful way - for example, Samsung introduced PLS last year, but it's still only available in a handful of Samsung monitors.

Sharp would either have to bribe everyone the way Microsoft bribed Nokia, or the technology would have to be both amazing and amazingly cheap in order for third parties to even show any interest within 6 months.

5. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    IGZO replaces the expensive amorphous silicon backplane that TFT's use, so I'm guessing it's the future of LCD. It should be slightly more expensive to begin with, but it should turn out to be cheaper to produce in bulk than TFT displays... especially the high-end IPS displays.

6. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    The new iPad was supposed to have IGZO panels from Sharp. They couldn't make enough on-time, hence the dual-lamp and slightly overheating solution. Anyway I'm pretty certain that not-as-much mass production products as MacBooks would end-up getting them. The first couple of reviews would tell us what to expect from those panels.

7. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Don't blame Intel for that. The numbers race was invented long before they came along. Besides, people like numbers; it gives them a way to compare one product to another. Its just too bad the numbers don't always add up.

Incidentally, Intel pretty much eschewed the numbers game when they moved to multi core. Nevertheless, it always has a way of coming back.

8. yknyong1

yknyong1 Radiance with Radeon

Reputations:
    Bigger is always better for the human race somehow... :p

9. lebob23

lebob23 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  10. AMATX

AMATX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I wonder if this screen morphed into the IBM T221 monitor that had a res of 3480x2400, around 2001. To date, the highest pixel density of any commercially available monitor. Original MSRP was about $19,000(!). Can be had on ebay for $1000+- these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.