Display failing-perennial problem of Consumer Laptops

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Pranalien, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pranalien

Pranalien Notebook Veteran

Reputations:
    I purchased my first notebook Toshiba Satellite A60 in 2005 having ATI Mobility Radeon 7000IGP. The laptop lasted 2 years and died in 2007. It had a one year warranty.

My second laptop HP Pavilion dv9312tx was purchased in 2007. It died finally in December 2010. I had 3 year warranty. This one had 4 motherboard replacements because of faulty NVIDIA Geforce Go 7600. My tryst with HP was detailed in NBR forums however since the class action lawsuit was valid only in USA, Indian customers were left high and dry by HP. I promised to never buy any HP product in future.

Then I purchased Sony VAIO E series having Mobility Radeon 5650 in December 2010. The warranty was for 3 years. Now in December 2014, the laptop display is failing with vertical lines and artifacts and sudden shutdown. I am writing this post on this same laptop waiting for it to die .

My perspective:

Are all consumer laptops more prone to heat failures? I believe business laptops are more durable and have solid built quality. Majority of them don't have dedicated graphic cards and they all come with 3 years warranty standard.

Can somebody enlighten me as to whether I should go for a business laptop like Thinkpad, Latitude or a Tecra?

2. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    All electronics are prone to heat failures (period).

Doesn't matter what you buy, if you use it often and fully in extreme temp/humidity settings, something will eventually give.

The ThinkPad line is what I would recommend if you want a solid/dependable business notebook. But even the high end models won't withstand what is essentially abuse (high/constant workloads in high ambient temps/humidity environments).

3. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If you don't need rapid 3D graphics (gaming or 3D design) then avoid anything with a separate GPU.

Also look for Latitude deals at Dell Outlet (if India doesn't have its own branch of Dell outlet there's likely to be someone sell ex-outlet stock). Not only can you get business quality build at consumer PC price but also a detailed service manual and the wide availability of spare parts means that any problems can be fixed.

John

4. Pranalien

Reputations:
    There lies the problem. I love gaming. But because of constantly failing motherboards in today's laptops I am being forced to look at safer options like going for business laptops and sacrificing my gaming needs. Because at the end of the day it is extreme heat that is killing my laptops and coupled that with pathetic after sales service in India I am losing interest in laptop gaming in order to keep my laptop more durable. For example take Thinkpad E431 and Ideapad Z50. Both are from Lenovo and are similarly priced. But even though I want the Ideapad for its gaming potential I shudder at the prospect of getting it fried.

5. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Does anyone in India sell Clevo notebooks? They are built for gaming. The main notebook brands give higher priority to thin and sleek designs which are marginal on cooling capacity. It's one of my grievances (and I only use the Intel graphics) that as the CPU power rating drops then the fan gets smaller so the notebooks are still noisy under full load.

Otherwise build yourself a desktop for gaming: There is plenty of space for big fans.

John

Pranalien likes this.
  6. Pranalien

Reputations:
    Both Sager and Clevo are not available in India. And even if we manage to bring one from US or Europe, there is nobody to provide any After Sales Service for these brands in India. So I am thinking of going for either Dell Latitude, Lenovo Thinkpad or Toshiba Tecra. What do you think of the Latitude's build quality?

7. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you expecting hardcore gaming like WOW or Crysis or GTA or COD none of those will fill these requirements especially on laptop. You only choice is to order and have a laptop sent to you should there be no other sellers of Sager, Celveo, Asus, or Fangbook evo then your gaming horizon will be very limited.

8. Pranalien

Reputations:
    I know that is why I am thinking to buy a business notebook and not to play any games on it. I might have to go for a desktop to play the latest games since I have burnt my fingers thrice on Toshiba , HP, and Sony

9. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just remember what the other posters said no laptop is immune to heat/dust regardless business or consumer versions.

10. Pranalien

Reputations:
    Yeah true but here in India the service centres are a real pain and the people behave as if they have made me a favour by selling the laptop. Plus business laptops come with 3 years warranty as standard and are built robustly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.