Display comparison: HD+ vs FHD

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Set Sail, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Set Sail

Set Sail Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I currently own a T60p with a 1600x1200 @200 nits, and I'm trying to decide which screen to get with my next machine, either a T510 or W510.

It will be either the HD+ (1600x900) or the FHD (1920x1080). Both are LED backlit, as par for today's displays, but the HD+ seems to come with 220 nits and 60% color gamut, while the FHD is, apparently, 270 nits and a 95% gamut (there is also a touch-screen, which I do NOT particularly want, which comes with it seems a 242 nit screen, same 95% gamut).

Can anybody comment on the difference between these two screens, in terms of overall brightness (in both dark and bright ambient lighting), and particularly the color "sensation": is the 95% gamut just "too saturated", as I've read some reviewers say??

My current 200 nit screen on the T60p is not as bright as I would like, as it suffers in a very brightly lit rooms (and outdoors, of course, though I seldom go there); color seems decent enough; not great, but decent.

2. lead_org

lead_org Purveyor of Truth

Reputations:
    which LCD does your T60p have? UXGA IPS? or the regular 15 inch SXGA+?

From looking at my friend's W510, the FHD is right LCD for movie watching and photoshop work. The HD+ is okay but not brilliant.

The overall brightness of the FHD is also better without the touchscreen, HD+ is good too, compared to my W500.

3. Set Sail

Set Sail Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I believe it's the UXGA. It's the "high density flex view", if that helps answer your question. Where can I find out definitively?? I tried looking all over the place yesterday (90 minutes!) but came up empty.

4. marlinspike

marlinspike Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If it's the high density flexview 1600x1200, you have what is the best screen for photography work on a laptop ever made, and, sadly, that is likely every to be made (NB: being super bright is of no use to a photographer). You should get the FHD, because everything else will be too big of a step down.

5. lead_org

Reputations:
    one of the biggest complain some people have with the Flexview LCD on the T60 laptops, were that the CCFL backlight dims very fast with age.

6. marlinspike

marlinspike Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Lead, I think that was just the 1400x1050 LG-Phillips one. I could be wrong though.

7. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
  8. Set Sail

Set Sail Notebook Geek

Reputations:

I didn't know this flex-view is supposed to be that good(!). I always knew it was pretty good. (Guess I need to get out more and see more different machines.)

It does have very good granularity, I guess that's what it means by "high density", very good detail. What bothers me the most is that all this fine detail is somewhat lost by what seems like a dull screen level of "brightness". Thus, I'm looking for a brighter screen on my next machine, while still keeping the good detail of a higher resolution screen.

9. Set Sail

Set Sail Notebook Geek

Reputations:

How does one find out the screen maker's name, short of tearing down the top of the computer??

10. lead_org

Reputations:
    get a HWinfo32 and check the LCD part number, then google the part number it should give an accurate list of the manufacturers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.