Display Backlight Flickering: TONGFANG GK5CN5Z / GK5CN6Z / GK5CQ7Z / GK5CP0Z

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by RealBACONATOR2, Jun 3, 2020.

1. RealBACONATOR2

RealBACONATOR2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all, this has been a recurring problem for me. But on the Tongfang GK5 computers (mine is an Eluktronics Mech-15 G2, i7-8750H, GTX 2070 Max-Q) the display backlight fails. Meaning the laptop display works at around 10-30% brightness, but above that appears dim and flickery.

I just got off the phone with Eluktronics, and they pointed the blame to the chipset used with the i7-8750H CPUs. They said replacing these motherboards with i7-9750H boards will fix the issue. That implies that if you have one of these Tongfang laptops (i.e. Eluktronics, Overpowered, etc) with the 8750H CPU, you will eventually have this issue.

If I were you, I'd try to get this replaced under warranty with a 9750H CPU board. I'll post an update once I get the replacement laptop in to see if it's resolved.

2. Plouie

Plouie Newbie

Reputations:
    Any update? I just started getting this problem and i read through like 50+ pages of posts and tried all those tricks to make it worth without success. I just emailed them the other day to see if i can start the RMA process. Just wondering if you had any success?

3. RealBACONATOR2

RealBACONATOR2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Still waiting on my laptop to get back from Eluktronics. They still believe this is an issue with all the Mech-15s with 8750H boards.