Discuss these machines. I am having device flip flopping maddness!

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by kojack, Feb 21, 2020.

?

What would you choose?

1. Max spec Dell XPS 13 2 in 1

16.7%
  2. Max spec Microsoft Surface Book 2 13"

33.3%
  3. Max spec Asus Zenbook Pro Duo

50.0%
  1. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Fully decked out xps 13 2 in 1.
    Fully decked out Asus zenbook pro duo
    Fully decked out surface book 2 13"

I know the asus is....well asus, and has a way bigger footprint. However, the concept is REALLY COOL.

I am going to be using it for graphic design, photogprahpy and videography work. No gaming will be performed on this machine. Only content creation.

2. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The XPS is the weakest of them all, but it should in theory consume less power, and unlike the surface book, it has TB3 for a eGPU which can ultimately give it a huge edge in GPU computing, while the CPU's in both will perform more or less the same with likely a slight edge to the XPS. Without an eGPU, the GTX 1050 in the SB2 is about ~50% faster in synthetic benchmarks. Very obviously the pro duo will be a lot faster than both, don't think its out yet however.
    As for pricing, the XPS with 32GB RAM/i7/512GB SSD is ~$1500, while the SB2 with the i7/1050/16GB/1TB SSD is ~$2700, a huge increase in price for not a whole lot of gained performance, and half the ram too.

3. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Tack on the 4K screen to the dell and it’s much closer.

4. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    @kojack I'd take Zenbook Pro Duo because second display will improve productivity greatly. However, if you'll mostly use it at home with ability to plug an external monitor or two, I'd look into AMD-powered Surface Laptop 3, seems a better deal than either of the Surface Book 2's to me.

5. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The surface laptop is a great devices, but lacks the 2 in 1 feature. Which is why I would be looking at the book 2. The asus has dual screens which sort of gives the usefullness of the two in one, but I am not sure if it's just gimmicky or really better than a true two in one. I love my dell and how I can flip it to tablet mode and sketch some things even with a crappy fat "stylus". I could imagine how awesome it would be with a true stylus. Sort of like my surface 3 when I had it. You can see where my brain is going with all of this. Should I get this or that, will I regret getting this over that because of this! ha ha. I do have a monitor, a touchscreen 24" dell which I love as well. I will be doing most of my work at my desk, but when I am on the road, I would be doing a signifcant amount of work with the device itself from photo shoots, video editing and more for our blog, and clients works.

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just added a new device to the mix. inspiron 7000 13 black edition

7. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Personally, get a decent laptop then a drawing tablet on the side, like say a iPad.

8. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Already have an iPad.

9. sa7ina

sa7ina Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Take a look at this:

Real full power laptop with an integrated Wacom by Wacom.
    Perfect!

etern4l likes this.
  10. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well after going through specs, reading reviews, looking at EVERYTHING, the Dell xps 13 2 in 1 with 32gb ram, 4k screen and 1tb storage is the best fit for me. As I originally thought. I just wanted to see other options etc. It's powerful, has eGPU capability if I want, it's compact for travel, has pen support, very good keyboard setup, 16:10 screen and is built using premium materials. If the battery life is the same as my current cheapy dell, I am very happy. I will then forward this dell to my son to replace his acer s3 he's using now. Thanks for the opinions expressed!