Discoveries on Vaio SA/SB/SC Switchable Graphics

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Nautis, Jul 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rajveer

Rajveer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I got it to work without needing to reinstall. Basically the post over at leshcatlabs.net linked to the latest beta driver, not the latest mobility driver (which I didn't know existed). Once I installed the driver here it ended up working fine. I may do a reinstall anyways with all the proper drivers for my specific model, but I'm pretty sure it is fine as it is. Thanks for all the help guys :)

2. Rajveer

Rajveer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    To add to the previous post, I fixed the AMD brightness issues by using the value F940 for both Intel and AMD FeatureTestControl registry keys with the brightness fix tool found in the UnifL driver package.

Now another issue I have (and always used to have before my clean install) is that switching between GPUs forces my colour profile to become unused, until I do a system reboot. If there a known fix for this? I don't think there was before, but just wondering if I've missed anything over the last few years.

EDIT: I've read that disabling igfxpers.exe in msconfig may fix the issue, I'll try when I get home tonight.

3. Tier777

Tier777 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Happy new year, everyone!

What's the latest on graphics driver updates? AMD graciously made their official drivers compatible with the SA series, but only up until version 14.4. After this they removed support for the hardware switch from the driver completely.

I've been trying to get 14.12 (with dynamic switching) to work, but the laptop never goes into AMD mode, always stays on Intel. Still on Win 7 64bit, btw.

Has anyone got this combination to work? Do I maybe have to change a Bios setting? (Changing Primary GFX card to "IGFX" looks promising, but I'm afraid of bricking it...)

4. fscussel

fscussel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As far as I know, there's no support for Vaio SA in any AMD drivers other than the Sony ones. I've tried MANY different ways and nothing works perfectly. There were the unifl drivers but they had bugs. In the end, I'm using the vaio drivers again. How can you say that 14.4 works? Can you switch stamina speed without a problem? no bugs what-so-ever? because this would be a new, I've tried the prior drivers with NO SUCCESS in the old times.

5. Tier777

Reputations:
    Uninstall/clean all driverswith something like DDU, install official AMD 14.4, then latest official Intel, and finally use Leshcats brightness resolver to get brightness control under AMD back.

Sometime in 2013 they started supporting hardware switchable graphics in their oficial drivers, but only up until 14.4 it seems.

6. fscussel

Reputations:
    In fact it does work! But i've got a BSOD in the first reboot. Tried another reboot and no BSOD. If it doesn't happens at all, or at least very few time, I believe this is a better solution than the very old sony oficial drivers.

Also for those doing this, use F940 for brightness resolver.

Thanks Tier for this tip.

UPDATE: I knew there was a catch... videos doesn't work on AMD card... you get green playback... so, NO, DON'T install this, still bugged. I've went back to original driver from Sony site... unfortunately.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  7. dominum85

dominum85 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi. Can I use the 14.12 Omega instead of 14.4?

UPDATE: I've installed 14.4 from AMD and last Intel Driver. In Stamina mode it's all ok but in Speed mode the brightness is fixed! I've trie a lot of combination with UBR tool without success. Can someone help me?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  8. Tier777

Reputations:
    That's what I'm wondering. 14.12 seemingly installs fine, but it doesn't see the AMD card and always stays on Intel, or "Standard VGA driver" depending on if it's installed or not.

As for the brightness resolver, "F960" works for me.

9. dominum85

dominum85 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No way! I've tried F960 F940 FB60 F800 F942 ecc...doesn't work!

10. fscussel

Reputations:
    UPDATE: I knew there was a catch... videos doesn't work on AMD card... you get green playback... so, NO, DON'T install this, still bugged. I've went back to original driver from Sony site... unfortunately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.