Disappointed in current offerings?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by zdevilinside, Feb 25, 2021.

1. zdevilinside

zdevilinside Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How many of you are sort of disappointed with the current offerings from Sager/Clevo? It is truly sad (in my opinion) that they didn't get their "top of the line" product out before Alienware and others started shipping their i9-k processor, 3080 GPU models.

bennyg, etern4l and joluke like this.
  2. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My disappointment is much broader. We keep seeing performance gimped and prices increased. In this unique day and age, value is becoming more important than looks or specs. If it wasn't for the hard work and commitment of @Prema , @Mr. Fox , and others to name just a few, these laptops would be worse than garbage. You are in control of how you spend your hard-earned income; your call in the end. But, I struggled with the latest croppings of Clevo/Sager notebooks. Too expensive for what you get,

3. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, I'm disappointed. Looking more and more toward Tongfang this generation. If only they'd build a real DTR.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The fact that I bought a new P177SM-A barebone for $1000 instead of a new PB/PC 7x indicates that I am completely unhappy with anything that's currently on the market.

5. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    When I went with my thin book model my primary interest was CPU / dual NVME's since no other chassis had the dual NVME option at the time other than models hitting $2K+ which really didn't make sense when comparing the components under the hood. I ended up with the 9750H CPU / 15.6" screen for under $800 shipped and ported over some components from a different system to upgrade the base configuration. Since then swapping the WIFI a couple of times to AX210 currently which is 6E ready and recently bumped the RAM to 32GB for under $100. So, less than $1000 for a pretty sleek laptop that doesn't look like a gaming rig or stand out as a target to swipe in public.

This is/was my first venture outside the mainstream builds and it's been a decent experience so far other than some minor glitches to deal with.

Now, for gaming and the newest GPU's vs price they aren't the quickest to adapt as seen just from the CPU side moving onto the PCIE4/USB4 chips which in turn would translate to higher end RTX cards working well within the same configuration. Once C/S retool their MFG process for the new processors / features the flood gates will drop again with newer options for the next several years once again.

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Prices in real terms have not really increased too much.

The market is suffering at the moment in terms of availability globally.

Performance and TDPs have improved but the TGPs have far outstripped what physics allow compared to desktops where power numbers have gone ballistic.

electrosoft likes this.
  7. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Prices aren't really a good metric. We have seen metrics such as performance/watt and so forth. These metrics were created in comparison of AMD CPUs with Intel. In looking at the various resellers, prices are indeed consistent, and haven't changed much despite the lack of part supply. But, the performance you are getting is actually decreasing. Intel has gimped their mobile CPUs with plundervolt and other microcode fixes. In many cases, these CPUs can no longer be tweaked to lower voltage and thus throttling. Prices for these components have not dropped. In terms of performance per dollar or other monetary value, we continue to see a drop in that score.

It's also true that mobile form factors are pushing against the reality curve in terms of being able to deliver performance. But, when OEMs no longer innovate engineering solutions, yet keep the price of their SKUs at previous levels, the consumer is forced to accept less performance for that cost.

I looked hard at the non-DTR Clevo/Sager laptops. Cost before shipping and taxes ranged between $1500- $2000. These models all had 10750H CPUs and RTX2070 Max-Q GPUs. Threads in this forum show that these models run hot. Not necessarily a problem if one is willing to throw a $2k laptop away when it dies. But, throwing away a $1k laptop is much more acceptable even if its performance is less.

Blacky likes this.
  8. 1610ftw

1610ftw Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If a company would take in input from these forums and closely look at what the competition has to offer they would be able to build a world beating DTR platform that they could carry on with for several generations.

I am quite sure it won't be Clevo as from one generation to another they did not even manage to revise their ludicrous power supply design in their DTR nor their cancereous bios and CCC.

9. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can put liptstick on a pig but it's hard to spit shine a turd!

Clevo is a more of a horsepower for less $ than it is appealing to the masses like Dell, lenovo, HP, etc. whereas you pay for the hype and shiny tools they provide that don't really work anyway..

PSU's for one can be bypassed with a USB-C PD solution as long as it's not for gaming which would then need the traditional PSU due to exceeding USB PD 100W limitation.
    CCC is a gimmick of sorts but, you can set your preferences and remove it from the system.
    BIOS... yeah, that leaves something to be desired as they don't really keep up with things outside of the initial release unless you know where to look for updates on your own.

10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's not as easy as you think to execute that plan.

saturnotaku likes this.