Disabling the "Disable wireless" button

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by paulmagnall, Mar 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulmagnall

paulmagnall Newbie

Reputations:
    I work with a number of schools using wireless laptops (mainly various Acer Centrino laptops). I am trying to find a way of disabling the wireless button on the front of the laptops so that the pupils cannot disable the wireless by pressing them. I've read that there is the facility for third party software to be able to lock the button (this is mentioned in the Intel Proset documentation) but I can't find any utilities that do this. Can anyone help?

TIA

2. paulmagnall

paulmagnall Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, I've managed to get a comment back from Acer who say that the switch is hardwired in. I can use software (if it exists!) to permanently disable the wireless but I can't use software (if it exists!) to keep the wireless permanently switched on. May be we'll just superglue the switches in the on position :(

3. Chutsman

Chutsman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If it is hard wired, and you know how to open the case, you can join the wires together to make the wireless permanently on. But this may void the warranty, so check with Acer first.