1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Disabling fingerprint scanner

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by wtkad, Dec 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wtkad

wtkad Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought a Satellite A105-S4364 last night, which included a fingerprint scanner that I don't need. Looks like Protector Suite QL is controlling it, but it doesn't have a "go away" option. Can I safely uninstall just this software and not be bothered again? Do I need to disable it in device manager also or anything like that? I don't want to deal with 'unknown hardware' or anything.

Did a couple quick forum searches and didn't see this, so it's probably a lame question. :eek:

2. justin15

justin15 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    NOt really a lame question.

I've never been a fan of the Fingerprint thing, and would also like to know this.

3. Long Rifle

Long Rifle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Simply configure the fingerprint reader to allow your PC to boot normally. I played around with it when I first got my Toshiba, but quickly found out that it's really more trouble than it's worth. I prefer the old fashioned way of just using a password to protect my laptop. It will still ask for your fingerprint during booting. Just ignore it and it will complete the booting process.

4. wtkad

wtkad Newbie

Reputations:
    It's already set to not ask for a fingerprint either at bootup or login. It goes straight to my desktop when I turn it on, which is how I want it, and it stopped prompting me to 'enroll', so it's not a nuisance anymore. (Good news!) But the program is still in the system tray, and I was hoping I could have one less thing running by default, if it's safe to uninstall with no other issues. I don't anticipate needing it in the future, but as you said, I would prefer to use a password if security did become an issue.

5. vladmoney

vladmoney Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    if you find it in the start up you can probably turn it off

6. kdub2000

kdub2000 Newbie

Reputations:
    Go to your control panel and uninstall or remove the "Protector" Suite of software. That is the one that controls the fingerprint reader...

Restart your computer, it will be gone...