DirectX 12 Performance Preview

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Cloudfire, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rtnlsltn

rtnlsltn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It'll be at least a year until we see new games utilizing DX12, even then, people won't be jumping ship just to get it. The DX10-11 phase was a number of years. Curious to see if AMD's 3XX series cards actually end up being DX12. Would be a strong motivation to upgrade, along with their benchmarks.

2. moviemarketing

moviemarketing Milk Drinker

Reputations:
    Hehe no problem, I'll just keep playing Star Swarm benchmark over and over until somebody finally makes a DX12 game.

3. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    DX12 wouldn't be a thing if it weren't for Mantle. Neither would glNext. Or Metal.

Thank goodness for Mantle.

triturbo, Dragawn and moviemarketing like this.
  4. maxheap

maxheap caparison horus :)

Reputations:
    In games or benchmark that is not designed for DX12 I am pretty sure the gap will be much less significant though, still should provide some efficiency considering the idea is to access the hardware easier (right? I am not so sure about all details though)

@octiceps, well said, thanks to AMD we are getting DX12, as soon as Mantle became a real thing, Microsoft revealed DX12 development news.

5. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    I honestly think that DX12 might kill the entire laptop market if it forces us to run at 100% util and TDP. We're already low-TDP packages with our GPUs, and our largest single PSU is 330W, and only sold as default with three current laptops on the market, and ALL are SLI laptops. Seeing as how I managed to overdraw a 330W power brick with a slight OC just by livestreaming and playing Mass Effect 2 (of all games) with an unlocked FPS? I think this might be a problem for 180W bricks and 100W cards, etc. ESPECIALLY with how Maxwell's power optimizations pretty much require turning off parts of the cards that aren't really working, and how Maxwell itself is a very power hungry beast.

I'm... interested... to see how DX12 will affect the whole market. If Maxwell's power optimizations go down the toilet because of DX12, it could cause a real upset as that's a big selling point (their cool and frugal nature).

moviemarketing likes this.
  6. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    This Star Swamp really an test, for CPU frequency 800MHz gives more FPS than to 2400MHz locked;

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015
    Cloudfire and D2 Ultima like this.
  7. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    That's all true. But it doesn't change the fact that Mantle is now going to fade away, into irrelevancy.

8. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    I understand, but from the videos I`ve seen of Win10, the customization is there to remove any things that resembles Metro if you prefer that.

Thats a bit bold to say. Microsoft began working on DX12 before AMD released Mantle. Not just for PC but also for Xbox.
    Mantle maybe only got the release of DX12 out faster than previously was Microsoft`s goal. For that we should be thankful, but AMD isnt the only one that can "code to the metal" for GPUs.

What did you use to read clocks? If it was the program, maybe it was reading it wrong.
    Great boost with Mantle btw :)

9. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    DX12 is as much a result of the failure of Windows 8 and Xbox One stumbling out of the gate as it is a response to Mantle. Both of those things happened after Mantle was already released. Microsoft wants to consign Windows 8 to history as fast as possible and needs gamers to drive the adoption of Windows 10. What better way to do it than to make DX12 a W10 exclusive feature. And DX12 is needed to close the performance gap with PS4, which already has an extremely low-level graphics API of its own called GNM. The timing of the DX12 announcement just seems a little too convenient given the events of late 2013 to early 2014 that you can't convince me DX12 wasn't influenced, at least in part, by Mantle. That and Mantle beating it to market by 2 whole years.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  10. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Some more DX12 claims. Take from it what you will (with a grain of salt): http://www.dsogaming.com/news/dx12-...00-performance-increase-achieved-on-amd-gpus/

moviemarketing likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.