Digital Copy Shenanigans..

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by jpcamden, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Okay, I checked again on my Wolverine disc and the digital copy comes via a disc you have to insert the use an unlock code. This one is compatible with Windows media, iPod, IPhone, and other portable media. You also need to download a security version of Windows digital media player (another form of copy protection?) to be able to play it.

2. useroflaptops

useroflaptops Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    some dvds come with a digital copy too. This is true for DVDs also, not just blueray.

it is an EXTRA copy, for your PC without needing the DVD. I am guessing this is in response to the growing trend of high HDD memory storage, and lack of DVD drives for really mobile laptops.

I have final destination 4 on DVD, and it came with a digital copy download thing. I never tried it though. but it does say its extra. My DVD works.

3. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'd say more of the former than the latter. But I'm sure you're correct.

In any event, it's still a step back for me, since standard DVD kinda defeats the purpose of buying the higher quality version in the first place. Still, it makes a perfect complement for those who watch content on other portable devices.

4. Captain_Morgan

Captain_Morgan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As someone mentioned earlier... get yourself a copy of AnyDVD (and download Handbrake if you'd like to do some encoding)...and do what you like.

This is NOT illegal... you are specifically allowed to make backup copies for private use.... (the DMCA prohibits the manufacture of copy-protection breaking tools.. but the DMCA does not apply to AnyDVD as it's not made in the US)

5. DetlevCM

DetlevCM Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Daft logic...

Same idea:
    "So if automatic weapons are banned it is not illegal to get an AK-47 because that was made in Russia?"

The fact that the software doesn't come from the US (I assume you're in the US) doesn't mean its suddenly legal in the US.

6. Syberia

Syberia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    But if you were to install AnyDVD on a remote server based in another country, VPN into it, stream the raw output from your DVD drive (encryption intact) to that server, let it do the decrypting, and only receive the completed copy... would you be breaking any laws?

7. DetlevCM

DetlevCM Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure that yes you would be.

Simply because its not the server breaking laws but its you!

If you shoot somebody it's the person who pulls the trigger who's responsible (exceptions apply to children and other special cases) - not necessarily the owner of the firearm and not the manufacturer.

If your country does not allow the breaking of a DVD's encryption then it is illegal - no matter where how and under what circumstances you do it.
    If the allow backup copies you might get into a situation where those two laws oppose each other in a way.
    In that case you'd need to speak to a lawyer about it - because it would be a question if they enforce the law about breaking the encryption.
    It would however, still be illegal.

On that note - in theory you couldn't copy music to an MP3 player in the UK because that's a copy... yes daft, because everybody uses them, and its not enforced.

The laws need to be reworked - but that doesn't make it legal.

8. jpcamden

jpcamden Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Man I forgot I even made this topic until I was cleaning out my bookmarks. So where do I get this Windows Digital Media PLayer? I tried google but it took me to the regular media player.

9. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I took that directly off the DVD label. Windows Media Player should play it just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.