Diff between 15.6HDF TLF LCD and WLED

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by paresh1983, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paresh1983

paresh1983 Newbie

Reputations:
    This is my first post in this forum. While going through some threads, i saw on most of the 15.6' XPS systems, 15.6HDF TLF LCD screen was mentioned. I believe that 15.6HDF TLF LCD is different that WLED screen. There was no option to choose LCD screen while configuring the laotop online. I ordered my XPS with WLED and when i was tracking my order, came to know that they have shipped with 15.6HDF TLF LCD screen.
    Does anybody know the difference between these two OR are they same?
    When called Dell SUpport, they straight away said to return the system. What the heck..

2. stormwerks

stormwerks Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The difference is in maximum screen resolution. There is also significant difference in color appearance as the WLED isn't capable of the same amount of gamut. Maybe that should be degree of gamut. Back when I got my SXPS16 I ended up getting two identical systems with the exception being one had the WLED screen and one had (still has) the RGBLED screen and the difference in them was night and day. The WLED one was very nice, the RGBLED blew me away. I just got (like 30 minutes ago) the new XPS15 with the B+RG LED screen and it is exactly the same quality and mind blowingness as the RGBLED on my SXPS16.

3. Juanmito

Juanmito Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Paresh,

Today I completed and order for an XPS as well. I'm having the same issue as you, when I was selecting and completing the checkout for the laptop, it showed "15.6" HD (720p) WLED Display"

Afeter I completed the checkout, in the email they send to confirm the order now says: "15.6HDF TLF LCD"

I'm really worried about receiving a screen with lower quality I paid for. What happened with you? Did you get it solved???????

Thanks!

4. sprtnbsblplya

sprtnbsblplya Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Juan you paid for the low quality screen if at checkout it said 720p WLED.
    They gave you a much higher quality screen.

5. mark7402

mark7402 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm really worried about receiving a screen with lower quality I paid for. What happened with you? Did you get it solved???????

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Bonus :)

6. Juanmito

Juanmito Newbie

Reputations:

OMG, I hope you're right. For some reason I thought that a WLED screen was superior to a LCD...... I really know very little about screens and laptops in general.

Thanks for help guys.

7. seeker_moc

seeker_moc Spes mea in Deo est

Reputations:
    You're confusing different types of technology. LCD is a Liquid Crystal Display. Every laptop has a LCD screen. LCD panels are composed of millions little 'liquid crystal' pixels that either block light or let it through depending on the voltage applied to them in order to create the image the computer sends it.

WLED (White Light Emitting Diode) is a type of backlight, or the source of the light that passes through the LCD. Other types of backlights used in LCD displays are CCFL (mini florescent lamps) or RGBLED, which uses separate Red, Green, and Blue LEDs to create white light.

All current-gen XPS laptops use WLED backlights. Dell calls the premium display on the XPS 15 B+RGLED, though that is just another term for 'WLED' (as all WLEDs are actually blue LEDs that are covered in a yellow (red+green) coating to create white light).

The main difference between the two LCD panel options on the XPS 15 is the resolution. The cheap standard panel is a 1366x768 (also known as 768p or HD) panel, and the premium panel is 1920x1080 (1080p or FHD 'Full HD'). The 1080p panel is higher quality and has much better specs besides just the resolution, but that is outside the scope of the terminology used.

Note that HDF is not FHD (though I've never heard of HDF), so likely you will get the regular 768p WLED panel that you paid for.

8. Hosfer

Hosfer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Exactly what I was going to say.

9. kajouma

kajouma Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi Juan,

Sorry to disappoint you, but you are getting the screen you had selected and not a 1080p one. Here's how the XPS 15 screens appear on the website and the order confirmation e-mail.

15.6" F(ull) H(igh) D(efinition) (1080p) B+RG = 15.6FHD TLF LCD L501X
    15.6" HD (720p) WLED
    = 15.6HDF TLF LCD L501X

10. y3kesprit

y3kesprit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Was about to mention that...

Technically, the screen you ordered (the 1388x768) is considered a high-def display too since its above 720p. Whether it s full high definition (1080p) is another thing altogether.