Did you fall into the rabbit hole of trying out lots of thermal pastes? Just buy Hydronaut.

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Reonu, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Reonu

Reonu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've tried like 8 pastes on my MSI GE65 already. All of them would pump out or whatever after a few days and become useless.

Just buy Hydronaut.

Krynaout is **** for laptops, it has super good thermal conductivity but that doesn't matter because it lasts like one day before the temps start degrading fast. Hydronaut will not perform as well as Kryonaut during the first hour after applying, but it will continue to have the same exact performance even months after applying it.

Seriously. Just use Hydronaut. Der8auer himself has recommended it for direct die cooling. Stop looking at thermal conductivity and just use a paste that is designed for direct die cooling and for high sustained temperatures.

Or just go liquid metal, but this is for people who want the best non-conductive option.

Starlight5 likes this.
  2. Starlight5

Starlight5 Yes, I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    @Reonu how many degrees difference will I be looking at, switching from Kryonaut?

3. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is a good suggestion, however it also depends on the laptop. On mine, Kryonaut and Phobya Nanogrease Extreme work very well, but the contact plate on the heatsink is also perfectly flat (perfect as in no warping).

Problems arise when you have a warped heatsink, which causes thermal paste to pump out extremely quickly. Hydronaut is really good at resisting thermal pump out, and so is IC Diamond.

In short, look at your heatsink first, then you can decide what paste is best for you. If you have a warped heatsink, definitely go for Hydronaut or IC Diamond. If you have a flat heatsink, go for Kryonaut or Phobya Nanogrease.

Dr. AMK likes this.
  4. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I just use NT-H1 for everything dont really have any issues.

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Of course the shareholders will recommend own products. Wouldn’t you do the same?

There is better options out there for warped/uneven heatsink.

etern4l likes this.
  6. Temp1234453

Temp1234453 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Which ones?

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    ICD, Phobya Nanogrease Extreme and Thermalright TFX

etern4l likes this.
  8. westom

westom Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Apparently what thermal compound does it completely unknown. Start with specification numbers. Direct contact is hundreds of W/K-m. Thermal compound it ten to 100 times less conductive. Thermal compound is applied only to fill microscopic air gaps. Those are less thermally conductive than thermal compound.

Meanwhile heatsinks are not flat. Heatsink is slightly warpped to squeeze thermal compound out - everywhere except those microscopic air gaps. To put maximum pressure in the tiny spot in the center where all heat is generated.

All that and more explained here: https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLapt...ndation_for_thermal_paste_zephyrus_g/g6kzgz6/

9. Reonu

Reonu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Come on, man. What I mean is that out of all of Thermal Grizzly's products, they recommend Hydronaut specifically for direct die cooling. People seem obsessed with Kryonaut when the manufacturer itself has said that you should be using Hydronaut instead for direct die cooling. That's obviously what I mean.
    I haven't tried the other two, but Phobya Nanogrease Extreme performed horribly for me. I don't doubt that there are other options that are as good or maybe even better, but my personal experience is that out of the ones I've tried Hydronaut was the best. And I'm tired of trying pastes over and over again, I want to forget about the stupid paste for at least a year.

My next step if this didn't work was to try either Carbonaut or the IC Diamond thermal pad. But I'm happy with Hydronaut atm (finally)

10. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Personal Experience = Anecdote

Relevant, but important to not forget what it is.