Did I make a mistake buying a Radeon VII (Canada)?

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by AnnekeVanG, Jun 12, 2019.

1. AnnekeVanG

AnnekeVanG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok , thanks guys I’ll keep the card.

I guess , to be honest, a lot of my buyers remorse was coming from Nvidia advertising real time ray tracing in their new cards and the Radeon VII not having it.

A lot of people online kept saying:

8GB GDDR6 with RT cores >> 16 GB HBM2

Apparently having a ray tracing card is more important than anything else.

The marketing is so well done and is making games look like **** without it. Although to be honest I think the ray tracing in games is not done realistically because reflective services are not that reflective in real life.

Has Nvidia ever marketed new technology before hand that just became universal ???

2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Ray tracing is about as amazing as physx at the moment.

As for "new technology" freesync works on nvidia cards that nvidia "allows". Any time anything flashy comes along marketing has to push it like its gods gift to mankind.

Rage Set likes this.
  3. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    I've used the Ray tracing tech only once during my ownership of several RTX 2080 TI's. Let me say it again, only once. I don't even use the 3DMark Ray tracing benchmark.

And to answer your last question. No, none of Nvidia's proprietary tech has become a standard. On the other hand, AMD uses a lot of open standards in their products. Take for example, FreeSync. As @TheReciever stated, Nvidia's take on Ray tracing is PhysX at this point.

hmscott likes this.
  4. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hardware transform & lighting, programmable pixel/vertex shaders, unified shaders, GPGPU, variable refresh rate, real-time ray tracing.

saturnotaku likes this.
  5. AnnekeVanG

AnnekeVanG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

How is the 2080Ti performance wise? Of course it obliterates every graphics card on the market but do you think it’s worth double the price of R7/2080?

I’m actually confused because the majority of ray tracing games don’t even come out until late 2020 but Nvidia’s release cycle is literally every two years and by that time in September 2020 they should be releasing a new set of cards.

It makes no sense. Their strategy.

hmscott likes this.
  6. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    The 20XX was a meh update, Ray tracing was thrown in to give it justification as well as something to market.

Rage Set and hmscott like this.
  7. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    As in general usage? Or OC'ing? If I were a normal user, I wouldn't have purchased the top end 2080 TI variants. I'd go for the founder's Edition.

Is it worth it? To me it is but what you value is different than what I value. For the majority of people, the 2080 TI is overkill for their needs. If you aren't OC'ing or running an ultrawide or 4K monitor, you don't need a 2080 TI.

Mr. Fox likes this.