Did I hit the jackpot? CF-19 Mk7 for 425$

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by User32, May 8, 2018.

1. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Late CF 19 lids are very hard to find.

imo, FZ G1 screen,digitizer is light years ahead of a CF 19.
    FZ G1 is not as rugged as a CF 19 though.

UNCNDL1 likes this.
  2. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I know, I had it before, but couldn't migrate to a tablet till one of my clients bought it. Now I think I'm ready :))

3. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Get an Ikey keyboard dock.
    They hiccup once in a while, but they make it easy to transition to the tablet.

4. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Too large for me. I'm going to try Microsoft universal foldable keyboard (bluetooth) and a portable tablet stand like Compass 2 :)

5. towelie

towelie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I use my FZ-G1 all the time now, love having a rugged but pleasing device to use on the go and when i come home i plug it on my 4k display and it works very well(native res but 25 hertz though).

The only minus points are, usb connector on tablet is a bit fragile due to the design of the protector, tend to put a bit more pressure in an angle of the connector(when trying to plug something in) and it seems a bit loose now. Will receiving a dock by mail soon so i will use it a lot less.

Also the fan tends to kick in pretty often, i might replace the cpu thermal compound later on for this issue.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  6. thewanderlustking

thewanderlustking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I repaired the lid on my MK1 5yrs ago and it has served me well since. I just turned it off a few minutes ago in fact. It lives a harsh life too and spends most of its time on my toolbox at work, or out in my woodworking shop at home. Check out my thread here. The repairs are actually in the first few posts too.

Just for gods sake don't paint it black.... I used Rust Oleum Painters Touch it would seem. 5yrs of abuse later and it has stood up very well. The palm rest area paint does seem to soften a touch where it has come in constant contact with the oil from my hands, and other various automotive chemicals. It tends to "hold dirt" there a little better and I have to take more care with cleaning it. Last time I used Lysol sani wipes, worked a treat. They got a slight coloring of orange paint

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  7. theoak2

theoak2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    To keep touchpads from wearing out:
    Buy some grey self-adhesive vinyl.
    Carefully cut it to fit touchpad area.
    When it gets nasty, peel it off and put another piece.
    It lasts a long time, and does not interfere with touchpad operation, and keeps that touchpad looking new for years.

EDIT: Just realized he said wrist rest area, still this will keep from getting that nasty hole that really well-worn touchpads get.

thewanderlustking and Shawn like this.
  8. thewanderlustking

thewanderlustking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    theoak2 that is a superb idea, and could actually be applied to the palm rest area too! I would go through the trouble of disassembly and painting another Toughbook like I did again but have been stopped by one thing, the palmrest. It was super hard to make it look good, and then it didn't hold up long term as well as I would have liked.

But the paint on the rest of the machine? Lets put it this way, I STILL have my MK1 CF-19. And even though it sucks on the internet, doesn't have an SSD drive in it, or any other redeeming features other than the years of software I have collected on it, I use it much more often than my MK5! It is the one I take to work to "display" on my nice orange Snap-On toolbox. Right now it is happily sitting on my desk here in the back room.

The pride and satisfaction from doing that repair and taking the time and effort to paint mine was worth every bit of it!

toughasnails likes this.