Diablo 2: Resurrected

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hfm, Feb 20, 2021.

1. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    From what I’ve heard it didn’t go too well for Warcraft 3...

2. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Completely different thing; what they did with that. I think the only thing that's going to crop up here is how the game has aged: I'm guessing some fond memories may not hold up to the reality.

3. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I decided to fire up Diablo 1 with Tchernobog last night and play a little bit. Still fun.. still found myself losing track of time. I will say though that the lack of some QoL features (Tchernobog fixes that a little bit here and there like faster town walk) is apparent. Also the slow pacing is definitely noticeable, as well as how it doesn't control as cleanly. I also found myself slightly wishing the control scheme was better in general, like accidentally walking where I didn't intend to. The small grid is wildly apparent where it's not AS apparent in D2. I think I like what they have changed about the game series itself in D3 with not having to load up on potions and scrolls in the inventory, it seems archaic going backwards after just completing the entirety of D3 yet again over the last couple weeks. It really shines a light on either the D3 method of a slight cooldown on the potion "slot" or how PoE does it as well. I think I'd be much more happy with allowing potion stacking and just using 1 quick slot instead of the entire quickslot usage being potions and a lot inventory space not being able to be used for items trying to balance potion load. I don't have town portal yet, which is also a big pain having to walk back to town through cleared out dungeon. You can really see where they needed to streamline things to take some of the time wasting activity out of the series.

The sorcerer was my least played D1 class by far so I'm running one now, ran into the butcher really early on lvl 2 and got myself into a bit of an unworkable position, had to restart the seed so I can grind a little more. :)

As far as D2 is concerned, I played that all the way through again within the last year or two, and I recall it still being as fun as always. I have zero doubts that a few of the QoL things they are adding in D2:R will shape it up as well as having those fantastic looking art assets and engine on top of it. Since it's still the SAME engine underneath and you can switch seamlessly on the fly between the old and new renderers, I have zero concerns since it's going to be the same great game with a modern look. The part I'm really looking forward to is the fact that they reshot all the cinematics as up to date 2020-2021 quality Blizzard cinematics. That's going to be great. They have showed enough gameplay here and continually talked about making sure they are not going to make any fans that are STILL playing D2 disappointed that I have zero concerns here.

WIth three new Diablo products in the oven for release over the next few years and a sizable D3 patch about to release with new features it's truly a great time to be a Diablo fan after them having neglected the series in holding patterns for a while.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  4. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Agree on the main but some people are not going to like it who had before; there is no getting around that. I don't see it as a problem per se, just pointing out some might find the game dated and because of it, disappointing.

I do well with older games but it isn't always the way of it: I loved KOTOR and when I saw it available on Android I purchased it immediately for a tablet I had at the time. What I found was that the game seemed ridiculously empty compared to modern titles in the genre. I tried to get into it several times but my interest would wane before long and I didn't make it far.

I also agree that it is a great game but I'd go further and say it's heavily flawed. Some character builds cannot complete the game solo: They can't get past the Ancients in hell but cannot get any meaningful experience at that stage to help get over that hump. You also have characters that struggle on their own, I started a trapper now and it's a good example. It's lightning damage is far and away it's strongest damage type but due to immunes you have to also go into corpse/melee or fire to make it work. That cuts into your meat and potatoes damage significantly slowing progression. An avenger faces no such problem. The avenger of course isn't nearly as good as a hammerdin which can quickly make solo runs on almost everything. Tele matters when a lot of the end game is crossing areas to get to your chosen grind.

You also have the fact that the game's difficulty balance was set with cheating in mind. You will never find even one of the high runes you need for the runeword that is going to give that hammerdin tele unless you cheat yourself or trade with someone who has the word or the runes but either way they are going to be duped items brought into the world through cheats. The entire online economy is based on duping and the items brought into the world from it. You will not have any of those items in single player to help your cause but the single and multiplayer face the same balance based on having all those cheats.

I'm still going to enjoy the crap out of it, D2 is like a brother in law I have, love the man but I wouldn't loan him money.

hfm likes this.
  5. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I suppose this will be blizzard launcher only? I'd buy if DRM free, heck I'd pay for D2 original DRM free at this point.

killkenny1 and hfm like this.
  6. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Back in the day you did have to validate your CD key during installation but that was it. There was offline and TCP/IP without ever having to confer with the mother ship and offline can be done without any connection. Battle.net was aware of your keys and did not let you on with more than one installation (same keys) at a time; that's about it for DRM as I remember it.

7. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah It's only going to be available on Battle.net I am guessing, same as D3. Unless you play it on console.

8. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    I'm pretty stoked. I was hooked on my Hammerdin and played daily from launch till WoW dropped. I dropped considerable time into D3 too, but nothing with the intensity and passion of D2.

9. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Anyone see anything about the cow level? I'm assuming it's in with the single run at each difficulty and then nerfed as it has been since the, well, nerf. I was reading an article where they were opining it should be returned to it's original glory. I agree; it would be nice to have more farming options in the end game.

hfm likes this.
  10. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had forgotten about the dynamics of pot management. You know: better belt with 8 slots or an inferior belt with 12? Mana to health ratio? Give up inventory for pot storage? Etc. It's a core part of your character build, much more so than I remembered.

Also forgot about how tight the storage is in this game. Too tight in my opinion; I can tell right now I'm going to have an many mules as the game will give me unless of course it's unlimited. I could see myself having dozens if it were unlimited.