Diablo 2: Resurrected

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hfm, Feb 20, 2021.

1. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Same here. My battle.net has only 2 games, D3 and Warzone :)

2. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Now that the print media is getting out there I can see there will be offline mode, also, TCP/IP, along with B.net. Still going to do ladders, and they claim their stricter B-net security should tone down the duping although as they've freely admitted they don't want to throw down the gauntlet I'm thinking they know they're going to lose that battle. Doesn't affect me as I'll be offline or TCP/IP but I think a whole new generation will experience the fun of Baal bots and their runs. As well as incessant spam, 11-year-old boys thinking they're all grown up when they curse, all the other fun stuff D2 online brought upon its players.

3. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm guessing people are already experiencing hacking/duping in a multitude of ARPG's with online features that already exist today. I don't think they need to wait for D2:R for that. No new ground will be broken there.

I'm replaying D3 again after I basically blew throught the game in SP once then the Expansion SP one time (I was just in it for the story and cinematics really) and then dabbled a bit again when they did the very first darkening of Tristram D1 homage. Probably put no more than maybe 70-100 hrs into it total all said which is like a grain of sand on a beach in D3 hours really. Having fun just doing a solo run through the campaign again with Necro. I never bought that addon, but it came with the D2:R preorder most expensive option. Having fun, though I only did really one run through the campaign before so It's been long enough for me to forget a lot so it feels a little fresh.. I still had a bunch of Marquis gems in my stash, that was about the gem construction level I stopped at on the one last go round. I threw a +4000 Thorn topaz on the crusader weapon slot and all the enemies are just dying hitting him.. it's a little silly lol.. I should maybe crank the diff up.

I definitely think I put the most hours into D1 (I was in the beta and I played that thing nonstop for I don't even know how long..). I put much less hours into D2.. and way less again into D3. I'm imaging if we had hours tracking on games since back then my top three games by hours spent would be Doom, Doom 2, Diablo .. everything else would be a DISTANT 4th place, it seems based on Steam that distant 4th place is Skyrim+Skyrim:EE at a combined 720 hours. I don't think I've got close to that with D2 and D1 is definitely over 1000.. Doom and Doom 2 I don't even want to know..

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  4. acekard

acekard Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I really hope modders can add some-kind of endgame system, not really interested in doing baal runs.

5. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was in the closed beta for D2 and 3; I think they liked my gaming DTRs as it would have been an uncommon data point back in those days. Although gaming laptop was a bit of a misnomer back when D2 came out. I played the least of D1 having first started it just before I got into the beta for D2. Back then my middle son got into drugs and it was a really bad time. Even after he got out of it we had serious problems on the communications front. For some reason though while playing D2 we could chat. The world keeps on spinning and we all moved forward but to this day Diablo has become an ad hoc meeting place for my family. I still play with my kids and some of my grandkids are old enough to join in. Of course I'm just there to chat, the game was spent years ago. Still, for all that is fun to get together and mindlessly play while recounting the minor events of our lives. D2 for us will be a good thing, the grandkids have never played it and now well be able to get 8 of us in the same game instead of having a limit of 4 with D3.

6. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Sorry that happened, but it seems like things turned out OK. That sounds like a great reason to get D2:R as long as everyone has a capable enough PC! The sys req seems pretty achievable on the lower end side with meager hardware. Even the recommended is only a 1060.

I also replayed D1 fully right before the other D2 playthrough. Even at its age D1 still holds up as long as you toss QoL mods at it. I still listen to the soundtracks once in a while while working.

7. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    lol, oh yeah, you're a fan. Blizzard did some great work back in those days when considered against their contemporaries; IMO across the board. Much like Cyberpunk, D2 resurrected had me at hello; the only way they could have lost the sale was to remove single player or something along those lines. I became curious out of what might become of D3 when you've got both new 2 and 4 in the market. I wandered over that way and noticed that they are switching the merc over to being able to mount a full set of gear with some gear properties also transferring over to the player character. What's fascinating about that is they said it would benefit offline play. They almost never say that, usually they mention solo play which is more correct when the game has no offline mode. So... Gaffe or spoiler? :D

8. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hah, the follower stuff in the latest D3 patch is definitely for soloing, which is what I always end up doing. I think that was supposed to drop today! I did a whisky/bourbon tasting tonight so I haven't checked... checking..

Nope, seems to just be in PTR today, not GA yet. Should be great for solo though as you can tailor the follower to be a little more useful. I don't know how long usually between PTR and GA deployment, but I might be done with this run by the time they launch it. lol.

9. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's variable, seems to me that it normally hinges on how difficult it is to get it balanced. Sometimes they'll run a second PTR if things were really whacked during the first. At other times they make a few changes and let fly. It'll be running for at least all of this ladder so you've got it waiting for you when you get to it.

hfm likes this.
  10. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It definitely seems like this is more substantial than a lot of previous D3 patches, might be a while.