Diablo 2: Resurrected

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hfm, Feb 20, 2021.

1. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Well OK, I watched the trailer, heard the Tristam theme I haven't heard in a long time and stayed a while to listen.

Shame it will be only available on Battle.Net. I might have considered buying it for the nostalgia alone.

Didn't you pre-order CP2077 just recently?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021 at 2:34 AM
    JRE84 and cucubits like this.
  2. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are you saying solo play will not be possible? Data costs a fortune here so I haven't watched any of the videos, I've been assuming all along this was a buy so long as they didn't alter the game in some unpalatable way. Having said that I well remember the bot/cheat game economy; I was hoping they might do something about that but it would require a change in drop rate. As an example I still have D2 on my small laptop to this day and have played it as recently as a few months ago having never found a single high rune through all the years right up to today. All those rune words using them back in the day were created by cheats, there would not have been a single one utilizing high runes in the game without them. There is also the incredibly unbalanced nature of the characters where some cannot make it past the Ancients in hell without being rushed by another character. I don't know if you folks recall; you can get to a point where you can't get meaningful experience anymore to attain a higher level but are still not powerful enough to jump that hoop. None of this really hurts me the way I use the game now as I know which builds can beat the ancients in hell and all the other trivia one needs to know to beat a game that was literally patched around the fact that bot farming couldn't be stopped and was feeding the items needed to play the game into it.

3. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure they said there's an offline mode but any character created in that mode obviously will not be available in any other mode.

4. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What's you guess on the bot/dupe economy? Or did Blizz comment on it?

5. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    All your questions are answered in the deep dive

6. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    lol, well... The idea was if you gave a brief synopsis I wouldn't have to use any of my precious and very expensive bandwidth getting an answer to the question. I'm talking 50 bucks per 200 megs: Indiscriminate video consumption can add up fast.

hfm likes this.
  7. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    They said something to the effect that it's pretty well protected with the latest battle.net security methods, but they fall short of making any bold claims.. because.. reality. They joked in both the Deep Dive and Q&A that they don't want to throw the gauntlet down to the internet. I think the popularity of the game is going to bring the scenario that they don't have to worry about any gauntlet throwing to get people to try to hack/dupe. I don't play multi at all and I don't try to hack/dupe so I'm not exposed to it and I'm not up to date on current trends, but I would imagine based on what they are saying it's not going to be much different than whatever D3 is doing.

krabman likes this.
  8. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's not often I get this far out, you can't throw a rock to where you can use a telescope to see civilization from here. I do hate asking to be spoon-fed but sometimes a man needs a little help from his friends. :) If I remember rightly they enumerate every player item in D3, I don't think that was the case in D2 making duping a difficult to stop affair as there was no way to sort the cheats from the real found items. I never played much in open battle net but did play with my kids and a select group of friends; other than that all single player. Never on open battle.net other than to go to the trade games.

9. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I never actually followed through on that. I bought the Xbox version when Best Buy was running a B2G1 sale before Christmas but returned it.

killkenny1 likes this.
  10. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    They keep repeating how the game engine under the covers is still D2, and they had to do that to keep the feel. Same 25fps under the covers even though the rendering engine will fill in gaps. Same grid system still. It's literally D2 with a massive visual rework and ability to run well on modem systems. You will also seamlessly be able to switch between the old and new renderer on the fly since it's the same old D2 underneath. They said all the "quirks" are going to still exist because it wouldn't be D2 without them. They are adding QoL features like a shared stash for your chars so you don't have to use mules etc..

It does seem though that it will be using up to date battle.net security.