Diablo 2: Resurrected

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hfm, Feb 20, 2021.

1. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, and at $39.99 it's not THAT crazy. I think they should have went $29.99 or $34.99, but I think they know it's going to sell a LOT of copies. I mean they probably could have charged $44.99 or something .. good on them I guess. I probably would have still bought it.

2. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They needed a win and they got it. I think they made a mistake not enabling cross-platform play but that's the only real major blunder I notice at first glance. I do feel they should have made some additional minor changes like gem and rune stacking but that's more my opinion than anything else; I'm sure the purist would disagree. To go back to the cross-platform I think that would have paid off in extra sales but in fairness no one has accused me of being a game developer and they probably made a bean count on it and couldn't see the ROI.

hfm likes this.
  3. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I feel the same way. They haven't made any gameplay improvements. You're essentially paying $40 for a texture pack.

It does make the game look nice but to be honest, the "wow" factor is very short lived. Our brains are used to current level of graphics and after playing it for a little while, it just registers as the good old D2 game. Worth $40? Absolutely not IMO.

4. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Noice.
    I think I was at like third of fourth grade when D2 LOD came out. I know, I know, excuses... :D

I'm 50/50 on this. Agree that it's good of them they don't charge full 60 Euros for D2R, as I believe Blizzard/Activision could definitely do that, and it would still sell and there would be plenty of people defending this. It's also good of them to offer a D2R + D3 bundle at 60 Euros for people who want to play D3. But 40 Euros for the amount of work they did and then shoving the rest of the issues to "it's old game, too much work to fix" is not justifiable.

AoE2 was a better remake and cheaper. Mafia was a better remake at the same price.
    But these are of course shining examples, as there are also worse release than D2R...

hfm and JRE84 like this.
  5. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    AoE2 was better? I didn't notice anything other than upgraded graphics but I haven't played it since it's release so I probably missed a lot of the upgrades.

D2 has a lot of grognards, afficianados, fanboys, nutcases, purists, and other names less, ah, nice. You wouldn't believe the fit they had over adding more storage space, gem stacking, and similar QOL changes. They complained so hard about auto pickup for gold that Blizzard ended up adjusted it so you almost have to run over the exact pixel to get the pickup. I find myself clicking the stupid gold anyways a lot of the time, it's crazy. I don't necessarily disagree with you though; I'm sure they didn't mind saving a lot of money by fingering the nutcases for the lack of QOL work and other changes a lot of people wanted.

cucubits likes this.
  6. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    A lot of that is just silly gatekeeping of.. yeah the words you didn't use.. since you can actually turn off those options if you don't want to use them.

7. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    It also had a lot of QoL updates :)

8. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The honeymoon is over. This is not to say I'm not enjoying it, I am. At first all the old annoyances went unnoticed as I enjoyed the graphics and the way it changed from being cartoonish to a place where evil really does dwell. I suppose the initial glow had to end, and I am certainly noticing those annoyances now.

Back to the likes; I do like the job they did with the spell effects: It's a little uneven but I think they did a great job with sprucing them up while not going overboard when considered as a whole. Every little critter seems to have seen some love and they all look pretty good to my eye. Those damn QoL issues though; why couldn't they have fixed some of them and had a toggle as hfm suggests? I don't get that one. And why even have gold pickup in if you're going to nerf it so badly and still have a toggle? I mean you have a toggle, so, why can't we just have an actual gold pickup function that works? Oops, digressing again...

9. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've now ventured online with my kids. Those server issues they're talking about? They are no joke, it's a bundle of disconnections, queues that can time out, messages that don't go through, etc. It's messy enough it can be seriously problematic primarily because of the way you farm in D2. Let's say you're just starting out and you've rescued Cain. You can go back to tristram over and over and pick off that elevated experience and grab items until it starts slowing down. Then you'll move on and probably farm the Countess at which point your level will be up enough the runes she drops can be farmed for low level runewords. That sort of thing is how D2 is played online and requires you to make one game after another as you do a run and start over to reset it. That brings you straight into those queues, disconnects, and so on.

Anyone who was thinking of buying in and would be playing online may want to consider holding off a little until they sort it out.

10. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I feel weird maybe i am weird...but this game is of 0 interest to me...looks dated and un fun...ironically i play aoe 3 DE....i know sometimes games like this can be a blast....just dont like supporting satan lol

devil worshipers....cough devil worshipers...lol joking around

krabman likes this.