Diablo 2: Resurrected

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hfm, Feb 20, 2021.

1. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't generally think of making the game harder being a cheat. Irregardless, in single player your fun factor is the only real criteria for gameplay.

2. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Dammit! I caved. Downloading now... :oops:

3. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

:D:D:D

I still refuse to buy it, though at times it gets hard to do so.

electrosoft, JRE84 and krabman like this.
  4. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think BG/BG2/P:ST still hold the record by far for how many times I've re-purchased games. Though if you count at release then again on bnet I think I've bought D1 3 times and D2 3 times.

5. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    I come from a more simpler background - all I had was some 2 disc counterfeit version of D2 + LOD I borrowed from a buddy of my. I legitimately never saw any of D2 cinematics as they were cut from that 2 CD repack. Playing D2R open beta was the first time I have seen them...
    Games were legitimately expensive back then in my neck of the woods. I would need to save like six months of school lunch money just to buy D2 + LOD...
    Also that same buddy who lent me his 2 CD game version then bought the OG thing. It was magnificent. That box... Back then game boxes were a part of gaming experience...

electrosoft and JRE84 like this.
  6. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ahh.. I was already working at my 3rd job by the time D1 came out. Actually 4th I had two jobs at the same time during summer between high school and college. That was fun, one day shift one night shift.. stocked away a buffer tho..

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    killkenny1 likes this.
  7. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So it turns out you need to check in with the mother ship at least once every 30 days to play and I hadn't done my initial authentication which meant I had to wait for those servers to come back up even for single player. Having now taken it for a spin... WOW! :bigyes:

8. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I know I am a dying breed, but that is the main reason why I wont likely play another diablo ever again. I loved Diablo 3 but the lack of offline play killed it for me.

I prefer to own my games outright to play however or whenever I want, or at the very least, not have to be online all the time for single player. Seems as though many have accepted it or just don't care about effectively renting their games. The reason I left console gaming was due to being linked to one system which could fail or stop being supported at some point so even the games you paid for could no longer be played.

krabman likes this.
  9. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah! I'm up to Kurast and every now and again I switch back and forth between legacy and resurrected and the difference is STARK. Just like the ambient animations like the ship, so many small details that you can see were there but now they are super detailed.

krabman likes this.
  10. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Lack of true single with TCP/IP was why I was not going to buy so I understand and agree with your stance. I caved; what can I say? We played the crap out of this game back in the day and all my kids and a couple of my grandkids have it now which pretty much doomed me. In any event I'm very glad I bought it: The change is overwhelming; I had in no way expected it to amaze me but it did just that. Sometimes you manage to pull a win despite your best efforts to fail or it could be a rationalization if you prefer, but... I'm quite smitten with it. I would venture to say the effect might be much less impressive to someone who didn't play previously? However you slice it I applaud your stance, I was weak, I admit it. :)

@hfm I had thought the switching back and forth would be a gimmick I did a few times and seldom revisited, but I found myself doing it regularly when getting into new environments or encountering new mobs. I imagine the novelty will wear off but I was wrong about it being a gimmick, it's a rather fun little mechanic to access.

electrosoft and killkenny1 like this.