Diablo 2: Resurrected

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hfm, Feb 20, 2021.

1. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    oh sometimes im harsh....but really ultrawide support in a rts?

i bought it...have yet to try it

2. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    This is the way.
    I also pick random skills or what sounds fun, later to see some fancy build videos on Youtube/whatever and be lie "wait, you can be that powerful in the game?!?"

3. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This'll take a sec...

The way they use skill synergies defines predictable paths. It isn't an accident, they were finding it impossible to play balance and purposefully patched the synergies in back when the game was still in active development. They also fundamentally changed the economy in the same patch and it relates because the economy is item based and the item changes supported those synergy paths.

Even a first time player would notice there are skills synergies and likely act upon them when choosing skills. As they played they would also probably mount gear they found that supported their play along the paths the synergies laid before them and that gear exists in the game for that reason; like the synergies it had not been there before but was added to funnel players.

That's why I was asking; it's possible your completely freelancing but most Assassin's will be going into traps or martial in general and then grabbing shadow skills that support one or the other.

4. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So here's a random question which has many correct answers.

Which is the most fun/OP/solo build for character (for a complete playthrough, hell included)?

Back in the days I remember having fun with Blizzard/Firewall Sorceress and I've messed with the Palladin a lot but never did a complete build. I keep reading about this "hammerdin" thing.

5. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ugh, blizzard couldn't even be bothered to properly optimize the settings. They really were just greedy/lazy and slapped on pretty graphics...

If your laptop/computer turns into a vacuum cleaner when firing up D2R, check the framerate limit settings in the menu. Mine was set to unlimited and as soon as the game loaded, the fans went crazy and CPU/GPU usage to almost 100%.

I set the limit to 90 fps, I also set this from Nvidia control panel but not sure if needed. Also enable v-sync. Restart the game and the fans are all behaving now. Still running a bit more toasty than needed, after all there's not much going on and it's a 2080.

It looks very pretty, I think I'll have fun with a complete playthrough.

By the way: /players 8 still works. woohoo

d2.jpg

6. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No character is as versatile as the hammerdin and none can cover the ground as well overall. It isn't without reason that every Baal bot was a hammerdin back in the day. For full effectiveness you'll need an enigma for telly but you won't be able to get the runes which in the old days were generated by dupes. Unless of course they changed the drop rate or are going to allow all the same shenanigans as before. In any event there are going to be a ton of build guides if you want to search.

As a starting character where farming is important an ice sorc is probably best for mf as you have telly and good AOE even without strong gear. You use it to find the gear for your hammerdin if you see yourself going in for the long haul. Once you have a hammerdin with enigma that will become your farm machine and you use it to farm the rest of the gear for all your characters. That's only if you see yourself going the distance though; the typical sorc builds can take you to the end of the campaigns. Like all characters you have to remember to make multiple damage types available or you'll suffer the lack when coming up against immunes in hell.

With both the sorc and hammerdin you'd want to pay attention to the budget builds; you will not be able to make the meta without cheats.

Necs... Slow but effective describes a summoner; these can take you into the end game with found gear; among the cheapest and easiest to make. Some don't like the gameplay style.

Assassin's can be a struggle in hell and on end game content without strong gear. In the case of trappers you have to go into both light and fire to deal with immunes unless you have an infinity on your Merc but you won't be making one of those unless the cheat machine is allowed to run. Martial can work and a lot of people go Phoenix to be able to vary the damage type to counter immunes. Can take you to the end but it's weak on that content. Kickers are extremely powerful in single target attack and can solo Uber but require crushing blow and lots of it which can be found, but not easily; really grinds against mobs.

Elemental druids are subject to the same problems as most character types, getting multiple damage types on the character tends to nerf it. Best as a supporting character unless you have high end stuff. The druid really doesn't have a solid solo choice that can run in the end game without great gear. Best to save him for after you've got some twinks for him.

Amazon's are the same as druids in terms of shining with good gear but being a better second character.

To go back to the paladin they've more viable solo builds than any other character and they can all do end game content; some can solo uber with godly gear. The zealer, avenger, tesladin, icedin, are probably the most common but there are others. If you do want to go melee instead of the hammerdin the icedin is the easiest to build and gear with multiple damage types as it's derivative of a zealer and you can do that until holy freeze becomes available. The tesladin is the same thing going into light but requires more gear.

Realistically if you just want to take something to the end of hell and complete the campaigns you can do that with most character types from any class so kind as you don't get too crazy with skills and pay attention to the skill synergies. If you want to play the end game you get fewer options; you need to do it "right" or you'll struggle hard.

Mana burn is a real issue with some characters as you get into nightmare and beyond. For any starting character the meditation runeword is your friend: You can get the runes in nightmare countess runs and just need to find a 4 socket polearm.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    electrosoft and cucubits like this.
  7. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm basically just feeling it out as I go, right now I'm just using tiger strike and the finishing moves, I may switch up to traps later but I stopped putting points into them to go the one-two route since it was kind of fun. I'm just playing on normal so not really taking it very seriously just having fun with a char class I haven't played yet. (I suppose it's obvious that I've never played MP and only played through it a few times in SP to see the everything) I think there's at least 3 of the classes I've never played...

I recall the first time I played back when it released I tried a necro and stumbled upon whatever combo it was where you could apply Iron Maiden to the flesh golem I think it was. I recall one of the first bosses basically killed itself in 2 hits hitting my golem. Laughed for a while on that one. I was having a hard time killing that boss until I stumbled on that.

killkenny1 likes this.
  8. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Iron Maiden was nerfed on both sides of the coin towards the end of the first go around. It was hilarious and quite fun to do what you describe but melee players were one-shotting themselves when making Diablo runs over and over and it was hugely unpopular. I can remember dying 30 or more times trying to get through that level and never revisiting it with my melee characters. A sorc, hammerdin, and other casters, could farm there with impunity and it was a popular and profitable run for them.

Blizzard stuck to their guns quite a while before the nerf saying that they wanted the game to be a struggle at some points for every class. Didn't really work out that way as they never mastered the play balancing. They finally figured out many players were refusing to play a melee character at all just to avoid Iron Maiden and nerfed it toward the end in an effort to get more build variety playing online.

I don't want to taint your experience one way or another with your build. For some reason I had it in my head you had a lot of hours in D2 which would mean you knew all the build lore.

hfm likes this.
  9. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think I'll stick to the Sorceress. Most likely I don't need a proper META build as I'm sure I won't take this too seriously, but I do plan on getting through hell.

How do you guys feel about /players 8 for solo runs? I don't consider it a cheat but it does allow much faster leveling up. On the other hand, it adds a lot to the challenge. For starters I had quite a tough time even defeating Blood Raven with level 4 ice bolt... Maybe I need to try a lower player count? I don't want to switch back to 1 for bosses as it defeats the purpose.

hfm likes this.
  10. electrosoft

electrosoft Perpetualist Matrixist

Reputations:
    I started a Paladin destined for Hammerdin 2.0 and tried to wing it and play freely and not go meta like I did back during the original launch; made it to level 12 and hated my skill distribution so went back and started a new one with proper meta distribution before respec @ 30 for Hammerdin. It makes leveling so much easier and fun. Plus I found a scepter with HF +3 so that definitely sped up the "all things in my immediate vicinity you may now die almost immediately" factor.

I think what I'm liking the most is having played it for almost 5yrs straight after launch till switching to WoW then playing D3 since launch till late last year and never really touching it again till now is linking the scenery and lore between the two. Almost a there and back again Tolkien style love fest.

hfm likes this.