Diablo 2: Resurrected

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hfm, Feb 20, 2021.

1. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:

No, it's not that easy. Play balancing these games takes years, they still don't have it nailed in D2 or D3 and never did in the first. This would just be more and to placate a very small group at real cost in time and money. I'm possibly skipping it for a different reason but I don't pretend that my needs actually matter; I get that TCP/IP is used by a very small group and does help (some) cheaters. In the end we'll both vote with our wallets.

hfm likes this.
  2. electrosoft

electrosoft Perpetualist Matrixist

Reputations:
    Yeah, I'm sucked right back in. Actually took me a bit to re-acclimate myself to the controls but by level 5 it was all flowing like butter.

3. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's the nail on the head. The work required to support that would cause way more maintenance complexity than the upside in sales. In they end they have to do a realistic cost benefit analysis on it. If they publicly stated they decided against it, at least they seriously gave it consideration. It also sounds like they didn't shut the door on it:
    I'm having fun playing it again, the added detail and sharpness is welcome. (full disclosure I'm just playing through it in offline char mode..) I don't think I ever played an assassin, so trying that out..

krabman likes this.
  4. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    I didn’t say it was easy. But I think it would be possible, but probably a lot of work that’s why they decided against it. That’s their decision and that’s fine, so is my decision not to pay still a hefty sum of 40 Euros for a 20 year old game which didn’t get a critical for me function upgrade.

Sans ultrawide support I liked the game. Gameplay is right up my alley when it comes to ARPG. Maybe I will get it once it’s like 10-20 Euros.

5. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  6. killkenny1

Reputations:
    :rolleyes:

So you are one of those - “if I don’t have something someone uses that means those features are not important.”

All what was mentioned (in a civilised manner) was said a feature was absent, a thought that the feature would have been achievable with some effort, and the absence of the feature negates all interest one had for the game.

But if you so want we can start a flame war about it and throw insults at one another. Seem like you prefer to do so and throw those little dictionary quotes all around the message board.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    electrosoft likes this.
  7. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So we talking Trapper, kicksin, Phoenix?

8. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Would be nice if they had fit it in: I don't disagree with you; I'm only saying I understand why they did it.

It also falls into one of the big traps they created for themselves when they decided to remain almost enjoy faithful to the original. I never like having the ridiculously small inventory and durability just infuriates me. These kinds of seudo-gameplay mechanics have been banished to the dustbin of history for good reason. The play balancing was terrible and predicated on cheats that they say are not going to be available. While there is no ladder yet what happens when it opens up and no one can create a hammering bot because no one can possibly get the necessary high runes. Those bots generated a lot of the items players used and more; traded for the high runes that no one will have because they were nearly all cheats. Yet there is no meta character that can be created without high runes.

This ultrawide is party to that, they kept it faithful but there are going to be problems alienating players for a lot of reasons.

9. killkenny1

Reputations:
    I never said I don’t understand their decision either. Am I disappointed by it - yes (I think it’s quite noticeable). Do I understand why they made the decision they did - also yes.
    I work for a living, I know how things are done in real life :)

And with that said, I hope it’s the end of this discussion :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  10. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    you're talking like I have any expert strategy or care to follow a build guide. :)

JRE84 and killkenny1 like this.