Device mamager tab no longer works (1909)

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Jdpurvis, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For the last couple of months, the device manager tab on the menu has stopped working. [Windows 10 Pro, 1909 18363.535] The application is ok - run devmgmt.msc brings it up, and it seems to behave normally. Anyone know why the menu tab would have broken?
    Thanks,

Joe

2. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Is that part of the O/S or was that a 3rd party software? I know that when MS does a O/S update like that it can break 3rd party software.

3. Jdpurvis

Reputations:
    Both Device Manager and the menu with the tab are part of the OS. And the app runs normally if I use the run command ("devmgmt.msc).

Best,

J

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If you're talking about accessing Device Manager from the link that is accessible on the Win-X (right-click Start button) menu, that gets broken (along with other links on the Win-X menu) for a lot of people when Windows automatically updates to 1909 instead of doing it as a clean install.

The shortcuts to Device Manager and other links on the Win-X menu get broken. To fix it you need to copy over new shortcuts from the folder from another user account that are not broken. I fixed it on both of my systems by temporarily enabling the built-in Administrator account and copying them over from there.

You can find more info on this problem and how to fix it in a quick Google search because it is a pretty common problem.

Papusan and Jdpurvis like this.
  5. Jdpurvis

Reputations:
    Thanks! Will give that a try.

Mr. Fox likes this.