Detroit Auto Show 2016 - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by booboo12, Jan 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Myself, I don't know that I'd want a PHEV sports car. I think PHEV makes a ton of sense for family haulers small (Volt) and large (Pacifica PHEV), where effective mileage and range matters more than curb weight, and you're likely using one vehicle for all tasks short-range and long-range.

But in the sports car market, curb weight goes straight to handling, one of the raisons d'etre of the entire genre. And it's presumed that it's not your only vehicle. So I'd rather have either a pure EV or pure ICE sports car than both systems onboard the same vehicle.

Besides, the Mazda Miata gets some pretty good fuel economy even without fancy trickery. 27 mpg city, 34 mpg highway with the six-speed manual. And it has a level of lightness and agility that I think would be difficult to reproduce with a significant amount of batteries onboard.

2. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    Can't say I like the LC500's looks... in fact, I think the RC-F is a far more handsome car, if only it were available in manual (and went on a diet, but I digress). Driving dynamics sound promising, actually, and getting Randy Pobst involved during the prototype stage testing was a great move. More on the LC500's development in this MotorTrend video.

Not a huge truck guy, but the Nissan Titan Warrior concept definitely caught my attention. Frankly, I think it's actually more attractive than the Ford Raptor, and its 5.0L Cummins diesel V8 is fantastic.

[​IMG]

On the other hand, the Ridgeline is just silly. I can't imagine it being more than a niche vehicle, just like the last generation.

Agree with Mitlov on the Lincoln Continental. Just doesn't seem like anything special, and the front end seems like it was copy-pasted from a Jaguar XF.

Not entirely limited to the Detroit Auto Show, but I am liking Volvo's new models (XC90, S90) and overall refreshed styling. A much-needed reboot that looks like a luxury car but doesn't copy what's already on the market.

[​IMG]

booboo12 and Mitlov like this.
  3. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm lazy as hell. That and I figured it's a waste to post photos/link to anything since most here caught what happened there on other websites. :lol:

4. Melody

Melody How's It Made Addict

Reputations:
    Not really a huge fan of the LC500. The interior looks nice but that color scheme just looks off to me. As far as styling, I'm in the middle with Lexus' design language, some I like some I like less. My main gripe with the LC500 is what seems to be a kink in the back where I assume the rear axle is wider than the front and it creates this weird line when you look at the car at an angle.

Also liking where Volvo is going with their new design language. Certainly more spirited than their previous attempts in recent years.

As far as other cars...

It wasn't really "new" at the Detroit show, but the M2 is a car that's been pretty well received, especially since it's still going to come with a manual. Most car reviewers are hoping it'll be a spiritual successor to the much-loved E46 M3s from the early 2000s.
    [​IMG]

Also somewhat interested in Infiniti's new Q60 which is a much needed refresh considering the outgoing Q60 was basically almost a decade old. It's a bit weird that Infiniti's base engines will be the I-4 from Mercedes so not sure how reliability will be affected if at all, but the 400hp twin turbo V6 which is rumored to be based off the GT-R platform is interesting. I just hope they don't do like the Q50 and put steer-by-wire because the Q50's was generally poorly received, especially considering it was supposed to be a "sporty" sedan.
    [​IMG]

That Fisker car also caught my eye but for the wrong reasons ಠ_ಠ It's like a weird Viper on meth.

[​IMG]

booboo12 likes this.
  5. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Sadly the Q60 is supposed to come with steer by wire, at least on upper trims. Like the Q50, you're better off going for the base trim for a proper steering system.

And lol at Fisker - it's a bit generic sports car imo...yawn

6. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    That Buick caught my eye pretty well. As a early-20s guy, it certainly makes me have a better opinion of the company than "old peoples' car". My only concern is that it's based on the Camaro frame; I hope it handles better than one, but somehow I doubt that.

7. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Sadly, I have to agree with Jalopnik here. Nice truck, but pickup truck buyers are an irrational group of buyers in the car market..

8. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That and it's always cold as hell during the show and I always end up having to park on the roof of cobo. :vbmad:

9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Remember which Camaro though. This shares a platform with the 2016 Camaro, which is built on the Alpha platform, the same platform that underpins the Cadillac ATS. The 2016 Camaro looks a lot like the 2010-2015 Camaro from the outside, but they're very different under the skin; the 2010 Camaro was built on the Zeta platform, shared with the Holden Commodore.

10. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Ah. Well if it can corner as good (or close to good) as my family sedan, I'll be a happy customer. I just know that the older Camaros (Zeta, as you point out) don't necessarily excel outside of straight lines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.