Detroit Auto Show 2016 - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by booboo12, Jan 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Anything interesting that caught your eye?

2. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
  3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do it, GM. A Camaro with sophistication. But call it the Riviera.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    Jarhead likes this.
  4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I thought the Lincoln Continental was surprisingly dull for the nameplate that was supposed to save the Lincoln brand. Boring--though inoffensive--exterior and interior, and didn't even have the rear suicide doors that I associate with Continentals (from JFK to The Matrix).

[​IMG]

Minivans aren't supposed to be exciting, but the Chrysler Pacifica (a confusing name as that's clearly a Town & Country) looks attractive and competent, especially the plug-in-hybrid model. 35 miles of electric for day-to-day chores; normal V6 powertrain for longer trips.

[​IMG]

Honda Ridgeline. A front wheel drive pickup with a stereo system in the bed. LOLWUT?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  5. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    I used to go to Auto show every year. But then again, company paid for tickets. Now my new company do not and they wonder why nobody attends. We're a major auto industry supplier. You'd think it would be a worthwhile investment to send their engineers and planners.

6. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I must admit the 2017 Lexus LC 500 caught my eye.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    I dunno, all cars look kinda crappy... There's the boring car section?!?
    Also, where are the ladies?

hmscott likes this.
  8. KPot2004

KPot2004 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mitlov likes this.
  9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Really don't like the exterior, and think the ten-speed slushbox is edging toward making me quote Spinal Tap, but that interior is nothing short of fantastic. Particularly Lexus' recent stumbles in interior design, like the current IS (which to me looks like a Scion design albeit with higher-grade materials).

10. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If great sales volume is Lexus' aim, then I don't think they hit the nail on the head as I can see the exterior is not for everyone. Personally, I like the front. A lot. The lowered spindle grille is a welcome change and I think the front looks agressive and unique, yet harmonic enough. The rear looks as radical as you'd expect, but not particularly eye-pleasing to me either. It's like they tried to cook some of the LFA's DNA into it through a drop-down design, albeit without a spoiler and aggressive ventilation. The end result could have been better. Still, I think it's a vehicle that stands out and I hope Lexus manages to transfer some design elements from the front into future, sporty models.

I've never driven a car with a similar gearbox, but the 10-speed did strike me as an odd decision. Sure, it may lead to more brag-worthy performance numbers, but is that really what this car is about? It's an RWD with a naturally aspirated V8, and they also presented it as a driver's car to Jalopnik's journalist among others. Paddle shifters are fine by many, but going 10-speed seems a bit like equipping a Porsche 911 GT2 RS with an automatic. Granted, that paricular model also got its 6-speed in light of it being the most powerful Porsche at the time, power the traditional dual-clutch 7-speed wouldn't have been able to handle.
    Yep, the interior is like an evolution of what you see in the RC F, being slightly cleaner this time around. I think the seats in particular look high-end and pleasing, which fit the exteriors in spirit. Lexus also offers one of the few brown interior colours I actually like, Topaz Brown, which is a warmer hue than what I've come to expect of brown leather in cars. Then there's the Mark Levinson soundsystem option to make sure that your ears won't feel neglected if coming from a German luxuary car.

Truth be told, if I had the means, it wouldn't suprise me if I'd find myself looking for a high-performance, turbo-charged PHEV, a category where good options are more or less absent. Increasing performance and efficiency at the same time is the right kind of sensible to me, if the powertrain doesn't make the driver feel too disconnected. That's a big if as you simply won't get the good, old mechanical feeling of pepyness in a car that modern.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.