Desktop RTX 4090 performance leak - Meaning for mobile 40-series?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Tyranus07, Jul 12, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Interesting performance leak for the upcoming desktop RTX 4090. Here is the video:

To summarize:

• The performance of the RTX 4090 is going to double the performance of the RTX 3090 at rasterization.
    • The TDP is going to increase from 350W for the 3090 to 450-550W for the 4090
    • The release date is going to be around Q4 2022 - Q1 2023
    What do you guys think this means for the mobile 40-series in terms of performance?

I think that given that Nvidia will keep raising the power requirements and laptops are getting more power restricted the gap in performance between a mobile 4080 vs a desktop 4080 is going to be wider than the performance gap between a mobile 3080 and a desktop 3080 which is around 30-50%. Probably the upcoming mobile 4080 will perform somewhere between a desktop 3070 and a desktop 3080, and the performance difference is going to be over 70% between a mobile 4080 and a desktop 4080.

jaybee83 likes this.
  2. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    On a mobile platform, GPU and CPU powers will be budgeted such that overall system power will be fixed. More power fed to the GPU, less power available for CPU taskings. Maybe this makes a case for the hybrid CPU technologies where cores are divvied between performance and efficiency.

Something will give or future GPUs will become more and more gimped.

jaybee83 and Papusan like this.
  3. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    With power balance between CPU and GPU and all mobile GPUs this gen can't even reach 200W. Unlike previous gens. The only reason for that is to make laptops thinners and lighters and to make battery to last longer. While the trend for laptops continue the thin and light direction I can't see mobile GPUs to get closer performance to desktop GPUs. Of course I hope I get proved wrong.

etern4l and Papusan like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I think laptops will just continue getting progressively more gimped and gutted with each generation that passes. The companies that build them have very low standards because the people that buy them have very low standards, especially as it relates to what kind of absurd nonsense they are willing to put up with.

ole!!!, TBoneSan, etern4l and 7 others like this.
  5. thegreatsquare

thegreatsquare Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Gaming desktops and laptops have diverged and while the differential in power is large, I'm not sure it's important anymore. In the case of gaming laptops, function follows form. Sure, the pursuit of being thin exacerbates the power limit problem, but we like the portability. Gaming laptops are specialized systems. In a way they are more akin to the nvidia shield and people are not lamenting and comparing it to desktop graphics power. The small size of gaming laptops are suited to resolutions under 4k, so 1080p-1440p is completely acceptable and there's often FPS to spare. Even the lowly 3050Ti, which would be in laptops under $800 were it not for the chip shortages, outperforms at 1080p on high settings much of the time. The long term trend is already apace for laptops to be getting half the power a desktop, but only needing a quarter of it. Graphics, so far as pushing pixels and textures, can be done with sufficient detail by most currently offered GPUs. RTX will take over lighting effects and consistent full 4k capability will trickle down to laptops soon enough, like by the end of this console generation.The gaming desktop/gaming laptop power differential will always exist, but it has pretty much ceased to matter.

dmanti, 4W4K3 and JRE84 like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    It would matter less if they malfunctioned less. The poor thermal management and irrational obsession with shrinking form factor and throttling to accommodate defective engineering makes saying it doesn't matter more difficult.

ole!!!, Terreos, TBoneSan and 6 others like this.
  7. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    At least laptop gpus are improving, it's just the deceptive naming that is the largest issue imo. Someone sees they can get a 3080 in a laptop and assumes it close to the same as a 3080 desktop version, that's just criminal misrepresentation by nvidia but the "corporate person" can get away with pretty much anything they want, no death penalty or prison for them.

8. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm coming to realize that the GPU for GPU's sake is less important than the availability of drivers. Of course lame GPUs won't be able to cut all brands of mustard. I'm going to experiment with my 1660Ti laptop with current driver and see if it survives long enough for Nvidia to drop driver support. I noticed this recently with AMD's decision to commit the older desktop GPU hardware to the landfill. As long as the last driver update is still OK, then I should be OK too. Once game optimization becomes the only way to play the game, meaning older non-optimized hardware fails to perform adequately, then it's time to change.

My focus is prioritizing resources for desktop performance; then using my cheap laptop to tide me over while I have to be away.

etern4l, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well this really sucks if it turns out to be true. I was really hoping the RTX 4000 series GPUs would fix the stupid performance gap between laptop and desktop GPUs that got reintroduced with the current Ampere lineup.

I guess it's time to build my own laptop. I know I keep saying this, but one of these days I'm going to get frustrated enough to actually go through with it.

As they say, necessity is the mother of invention.

10. thegreatsquare

thegreatsquare Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Poor thermal management is not really a new thing in gaming laptops. My first was the Toshiba SLi1 and it had one set of copper pipes going from the CPU to the two GPUs that it was sandwiched between before getting to the single exhaust fan.

...it didn't just keep my coffee warm, it kept my coffee hot.

Companies cut corners, problems arise, changes are made to address the problem, improvements are made. It's a vicious cycle.