Desktop replacement Gaming Laptop required

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Comad, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Here we go... 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 I'm sure you will find a lot more from my and others posting.
    For Core i7-7700K, all-core multiplier is 44, while 1-core multiplier is 45. for voltage. I don't use clocks under 4.7GHz for Kaby Lake in my machine. Haven't BGA:rolleyes: Regarding Voltage for 7700K. More like 1.152v@4.7GHz

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  2. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Pretty much. Missing 2 steps though

Silicon path, pass fail check for i7-7700 K
    desktop (K) > desktop locked core (no letter) > BGA HK > Desktop (T) > BGA HQ

Not positive where Desktop T (i7-7700T) fits in really... but it definitely is the same chip @ 35W

3. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Quality proof = 1 unlucky user, which you provide no source to. Yep, mhhh, yep. That's quality proof right there. The next thing u're gonna tell me Micheal Jackson is alive because 1 random guy told you so right?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @ThatOldGuy already proved I was right and you were wrong. He works in the IC industry. Do you?
    Now run your 7820HK at 4.9 ghz. Watch what happens to "Power Limit 2". You will be at 45W capped.

Then go back to 4.8 ghz and run 8 thread AVX Prime 95 small FFT.
    I'll give you $100 if you pass that.

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  5. robbug

robbug Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I won't go into all the technical aspects as the above posters have; however, I will say from an entertainment and performance "feel" The P870 is pretty outstanding. If it is within your budget and within reason to procure, I would wholeheartedly give the Clevo p870KM1 a resounding recommendation.

The speakers are loud almost to a fault especially if there is too much bass. However, it's almost as if Clevo wanted to ensure that if you decided to set your fans to max, the speakers would drown the fans completely out.

Fan noise under normal use is nonexistent. When gaming, I notice very little fan noise if any at all.

I have the 3K 120Hz screen. In retrospect, I should have gone with the 4K but was hesitant on worrying about driving that screen for future games.

The laptop itself is rigid and well built. Nothing feels flimsy. The screen however does have some flex in it. Overall the build is ... mild and not obtrusive - as in OMG LOOK AT ME. So there is that. Its design does not scream at you during normal use which to me is important. I bought the laptop to play games not look at.

Its heavy. There is no doubt there is "stuff" in this machine. It is heavier than my desktop at work. It is portable, as in, you fold the screen down and pick it up to move it.

There are so many ports on this thing. You can have it bristling with cables if you so need it to be.

Heat - while gaming it will pump out heat. My cats love sitting behind the computer. It's warm. Whats also nice/bad is that it blows horizontally out and not down like my old laptop. Nice in summer (legs not baked) bad in winter (legs not kept warm :D). Cats love it no matter the season... anyways I digress....

Gaming performance is great. Set everything to ultra and go with few exceptions. Those exceptions belonging to games that aren't optimized as well as they should. Case in point - Titanfall 2, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Witcher 3 max everything - smooth as can be at easily 60+fps. Minecraft with shaders and max resolution - dips to 30fps. But boy does it make playing minecraft a pretty darn gorgeous experience. Assassin's Creed BF or Syndicate - Ubisoft likes to put a speed limit and cap at 60. So 60 is where it stays with no dips.

I could go on on. I am only writing this long post now because I had a moment at work but to be frank I wouldn't write this at home because I'd probably be playing a little MechWarrior Online at max settings scrapping a few Locusts and waiting on the wife to get home so we can jump into World of Warcraft for some unoptimized 44fps but maxed bling gaming.

So there is my non-technical purely from a "feels" description of the laptop. Not sexy on the outside, blows hot air, eats games for lunch and burps them out. You want a gaming machine that is gonna be tearin it up for a while... this machine is it. Heck dress it up and throw some slicks on it and you have a race car - half the users here do that to this machine. Me - I'm just plugging along at mostly stock. Hope this helps with your decision one way or the other. Cheers!

Edit: If you go with the MSI, and you aren't all wrapped up into benches and all - don't let the passion from some users wash too much over you and cause you to wonder if you are making a most horrible decision. They are just trying to make sure you get the most bang for your buck (commendable) but if the other laptops fit your needs and/or budget go for it. Either way the gaming will be sweet all around. Until the next console gen comes out allowing for devs to push limits again. :D

Edit 2: Sorry direct response to your concerns:

1. Gaming power - ya in spades
    2. Thermals - never seen any throttles.. max GPU 86C and max CPU 85C torture test
    3. Screen quality - go for the 4k. 3k - something about it bothers me but when I start gaming it all goes away..
    4. Storage speed - I installed EvO 960s so ya... a bit overkill
    5. Portability - Never skip leg day....wait... doin it wrong...

6. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The moment he wrote:
    Is the moment I know u're just talking.
    I can believe, if someone would write desktop -> HK -> no letter -> T -> HQ and make good arguments for it without providing actual sources for it, but the moment someone says nonsense like a non overclockable has higher priority than a HK then I can't help but laugh.

The 7700 non K needs quite a lot of vcore in order to run at 4.2ghz.
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1622081/i7-7700-voltage

But hey, as long people talk, that's now a reasonable source right?
    I have a 9980hq ultra edition it runs on 0.001v and 11.6ghz, easy. Trust me I'm working in the IC industry and have secret sources.

7. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I remember you. You're that toxic jerk who flamed and harassed another user. Putting you on my block list. Keep insulting people who know more than you do. Cya.

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Don't use blocking list... You will miss a lot strange, bruh:) I don't use it.

"The 7700 non K needs quite a lot of vcore in order to run at 4.2ghz.
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1622081/i7-7700-voltage"

And some don't even know that chips quality will mature/improve a bit over time as the production continue. Oh'well, I learn something every day:D And people forget MB components ain't the same all over the line. + Firmware/Ec ain't equal good from all the manufacturers/OEMs.

9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Sounds about right. I run all three of my 7700K 4.7GHz with 1.160V. 5.0GHz only needs 1.260V and in my P870DM-G and P870DM3, 5.2GHz only needs 1.320V.

10. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    @Comad
    new 6-core LGA cpus are coming (late november for new clevos) so my suggestion is for waiting if you choose a p870

Mr. Fox likes this.