Desktop replacement Gaming Laptop required

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Comad, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Comad

Comad Newbie

Reputations:
    I am struggling with to decide on a laptop.

My priorities are;

1. Gaming power
    2. Thermals
    3. Screen quality
    4. Storage speed
    5. Portability

My current number one choice is;

17.3" MSI GT73VR 7RE Titan SLi 4K, 3840x2160, Intel Core i7 7820HK, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Dual 8GB GTX 1070s

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/173...7-7820hk-32gb-ram-512gb-ssd-plus-1tb-hdd-dual

I would use this with an external 1440p 144hz monitor for FPS gaming and the 4K for mobile, non competitive gaming and possibly streaming. I like the 1070 SLI for its power but worry about thermals as I've heard the CPU can hit 97C.

Joint number two is;

17.3" MSI GT73VR 7RF Titan Pro, G-Sync 120Hz Panel, Core i7 7820HK, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD +1TB HDD, 8GB GTX 1080, T/bolt 3

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/173...-7820hk-32gb-ram-512gb-ssd-plus1tb-hdd-8gb-gt

Like as it's a complete package. I could use the 120hz panel for everything and hope the thermals are better with a single GPU.

Dislike the 1080p restriction for a GPU which will be CPU capped in most games. Think may be going 1440p external monitor after a while anyway and 1080 won't be as effective as the dual 1070sli in optimised games.

And

17.3" MSI GT75VR 7RF Titan Pro-011, 120Hz FHD G-SYNC, i7 7820HK, 16GB DDR4, 256GB M.2 SSD+1TB HDD, 8GB GTX 1080, Win10

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/173...0hk-16gb-ddr4-256gb-m2-ssdplus1tb-hdd-8gb-gtx

Other than a colourful keyboard are there reasons I should pay more for the new version and get less memory and storage?

Wild Card

MSI GE73VR Raider-002 (Kabylake), Intel Core i7-7700HQ (2.8GHz - 3.8GHz) Processor, 17.3" Full HD (1920 x 1080) 120Hz 5ms 94% NTSC Display, 32GB (2x 16GB) DDR4 2400MHz Memory, 512GB SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Graphics Card, Microsoft Windows 10 Professional, Killer Gaming Network E2500 LAN, 802.11 AC Wireless LAN, Bluetooth 4.2, HDMI 2.0, Mini DisplayPort 1.2, USB 3.1 Type C, 3x USB 3.0 Type A, Steel Series Full-color backlight with Anti-Ghost key+ Silver lining

Only available on import. Like increases portability. Dislike less power and worry about thermals.

Thanks for any help. I've included my fact sheet below.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

Up to around £3000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

UK

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

a. Like: MSI

b. Dislike: Alienware (Had two 17's with stuttering and overheating issues)

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

No (Had faulty MSI from Amazon and two Alienware 17's from Dell Outlet)

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Gaming

Streaming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Lounge, Bedroom (Disabled, need in multiple rooms)

UK Holidays

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

GTA V

Witcher 3

Diablo (All)

PUBG

Destiny 2

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

Very low importance; hour if needed.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

On-line is ok

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Win 10

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

I'd accept 4K with SLI 1070 but no lower.

1440p 120hz with 1080, SLI 1070

1080p - 120hz only please - (all gpus)

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

No preference, both have good sides.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

No

15) When are you buying this laptop?

Soon as I can decide

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

3 years minimum

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?

Want an m2 for boot and at least a 1gig hd for storage.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

No have external.

2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Get a Clevo P870KM1 for around 2.5K USD with a single GTX 1080, reason why I'm suggesting this is that you later can build another GTX 1080 into the system. This system has unlike the others you posted a desktop kabylake 7700K, which makes this notebook a true desktop replacement.

It also features a 3K screen with 120hz as well. So all you could possibly want.

Now there is something I have to tell you. Once you exceed a certain amount, which should be around 1.5k, you actually get terrible price per performance in any notebook. Getting an actual desktop for the same price will give you a much much better gaming experience than any notebook could ever offer you.

I'm saying this to make sure you understand what you're investing in. Selling used extreme high end notebooks for a decent price is very difficult so don't expect you can just get the money back by selling it to someone. You will make a heavy loss.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    ShotOfB12 and Comad like this.
  3. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    clevo p870km1 with a delidded i7-7700k

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Papusan and Comad like this.
  4. Comad

Comad Newbie

Reputations:

Thank you very much for your helpful and in depth responses.

I do unfortunately have a few problems, mainly due to my living in the UK.

In the USA I know you have fantastic suppliers such as HIDevolution and GenTech for Clevo. Unfortunately over here we aren't as fortunate. Our suppliers deal in limited ranges and zero to no customisation of their factory laptops.

In the UK I have not found a Clevo p870km1 or a Clevo P870KM1 with delidding, repasting, 120hz 17" display or 3k screens.

There's a firm selling a dual 1080 system with a 1080p 60hz monitor for gods sake! All the upgrades are top RRP price aswell.

Importing from the US and abroad is very costly with 20% value added tax and customs duty to be paid aswell as insured courier delivery. I found a reseller in Europe doing most of the things I wanted but it was close to £4000 for a lesser spec than the MSI.

Any help would be greatly welcome, I'm really struggling with what is a very important purchase for my family.

PS: On desktop query. The computer MUST be able to move rooms as I have to spend a lot of time in the bedroom due to my disability. So it would have to be an extremely small form factor if it was to work at all, and I have worries about moving a desktop three or four times a day.. reliability of components etc.

5. Comad

Comad Newbie

Reputations:

Again I very much appreciate your advice, but as I discuss above I have had a lot of trouble sourcing this computer for the right price where I am.

6. sicily428

Reputations:
    this seller has Clevo P870KM1 with 120hz 17" display 3k screen but you need to ask the delidding
    It is a prema partner so unlocked bios
    https://clevocenter.eu/clevo-p870km-g-120hz-cfg.html

Prema Mod Bios
    http://premamod.com/

[​IMG]
    Benefits of Prema BIOS:

• Restores user ability to overclock or underclock the CPU
    • Restores user control over CPU power settings (voltage, watts, amps) for optimal performance and/or thermal efficiency
    • Restores ability to control non-turbo CPU core ratio
    • Restores ability to control CPU c-states and p-states
    • Restores ability to control BCLK (northbridge) and FCLK (System Agent) frequency
    • Restores ability to enable Intel Speed Shift Technology functionality
    • Restores ability to disable Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX) functionality which is intended for software developers who want to use that feature and causes erratic system behavior
    • Restores ability to control RSR, Watchdog Timer, ASPM, ACPI sleep and hibernation functionality
    • Restores ability to control RAM timings, clock speeds and enables the utilization of XMP profiles
    • Restores ability to control selection of Legacy, UEFI and CSM to install whatever operating system is desired
    • Restores ability to control CPU-based DEP, AES (encryption) and Virtualization
    • Restores ability to control GPU scaling, PCIe speed and power management features
    • Restores control over Thunderbolt and USB 3.1 configuration
    • Restores control over SATA port configuration and Intel LPM. Having the ability to disable drive ports allows exclusive control over what drive receives the BCD/boot sector, system and recovery partitions during Windows Setup and eliminates the need to physically remove non-OS drives when installing a new OS.

7. ELiusive

ELiusive Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can't speak to the VAT but I ordered from HIDevolution and the shipping charge for FedEX Int'l Prioirty (1-3 business days) to Hong Kong was only ~USD150.

On this page, a gentleman (maybe lady?), asks about import fees into the Czech Republic and @Donald@HIDevolution asks him to contact him via email. Perhaps he'll have useful information regarding importing to the UK as well. Worth a try.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...our-orders-here.800581/page-125#post-10596004

8. sicily428

Reputations:
    VAT is 20% for Uk
    https://www.gov.uk/vat-rates

9. Comad

Comad Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank s that's a great site, I've not seen that before.

I have had a look through and there does seem to be a big price difference from the MSI.

For similar 1070 sli systems we're looking at £3350 vs £2717. Clevo 1080p 75hz and 7600K as a base and MSI with 4K and 7820hk.

Similar for the 1080 gtx system. With the concern of return to Portugal if faulty to consider, is it so superior to the MSI models?

The top end models will really be stretching our budget, so I have to ask.

PS I'm very envious of you Americans right now!

10. sicily428

Reputations:
    Hi! @Papusan @hmscott @Mr. Fox @ThatOldGuy @ole!!! @Falkentyne @Mobius 1
    do you have some feedbacks for this user?

Mr. Fox and ole!!! like this.